Chapter 14: First Quidditch Match

Another practice was scheduled before the match. The Gryffindor team were confident in saying we would crush Slytherin, but Oliver was the bearer of unwelcome news.

"We're not playing Slytherin!" He told us, looking very angry. "Flint's just been to see me, we're playing Hufflepuff instead!" Oliver told us, looking agitated.

"Why?" chorused the rest of the team.

"Flint's excuse is that their Seeker's arm is still injured." said Wood, grinding his teeth furiously.

"Hey, we had an injured player, in worse conditions in the Hospital Wing, they can't give a lame excuse like that! Why can't they find a replacement? We did, and she's excellent!" Angelina exclaimed, while waving her fists in the air.

"It's obvious, isn't it? They think this weather will damage their chances." Wood gestured around, indicating the strong winds and heavy rains.

"There's nothing wrong with Malfoy's arm!" said Harry furiously. "He's faking it!"

"Yeah that git's being a drama queen!" I chimed in.

"I know that, but we can't prove it." said Wood bitterly. "And we've been practising all those moves assuming we're playing Slytherin, and instead it's Hufflepuff, and their style's different. They've got a new captain and seeker, Cedric Diggory." Angelina and Alicia suddenly giggled. "What?" said Wood, frowning at this light-hearted behaviour.

"He's that tall, good-looking one, isn't he?" said Angelina.

"Strong and silent." added Alicia, and they started giggling again.

I rolled my eyes. I could sense someone's gaze on me, I whipped around to face Fred, who had a strange expression on his face before he said,

"He's only silent because he's too thick to string two words together. I don't know why you're so worried Oliver, Hufflepuff are a pushover. Last time we played them, Harry caught the snitch in about five minutes, remember?"

"We were playing in completely different conditions." shouted Wood. "Diggory's put on a very strong side! He's an excellent seeker! I was afraid you'd take it like this! We mustn't relax! We must keep our focus! Slythern are trying to wrong-foot us! We must win!"

"Oliver, calm down!" Fred and I said at the same time, slightly alarmed by his sudden outburst.

After reassuring Wood repeatedly, that we won't lose focus and will secure victory, I went to take a shower in the changing room. I was on my way back, being the last one to head back after telling the twins to go on without me, that I was met with a pleasant surprise.

Padfoot came cheerfully bounding up to me.

"Well, hello Padfoot, long time no see." He barked in return. I bent down, scratching him behind the ear. "I'm really sorry, I don't have any food with me or any time, I have to be back at the castle before curfew. I don't want to get caught especially with this whole Sirius Black situation." Padfoot whined. "Don't worry, I'll see you soon!" I skipped joyfully back to the castle, despite my tiredness.

***

I was sitting at my desk with Hermione by my side, patiently awaiting Professor Lupin. What baffled everyone was that instead of Professor Lupin, Professor Snape strode into the classroom, with the bewildered eyes of the students trailing him.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" asked Dean Thomas

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today." answered Snape.

"What's wrong with him?" said Parvati Patil.

"Nothing life-threatening." sneered Snape, looking as though he wished it was.