Chapter 51: Waiting For Him

The start of December brought wind and sleet to Hogwarts. Drafty though the castle always was in winter, it was nice with its fires and thick walls as the Durmstrang ship sat on the icy lake. Beauxbatons caravan was likely to be pretty chilly too. Classes were progressing like normal. It was the light of fun that the twins had in mind that made the days seem more entertaining to Rubi. They were setting off pranks as often as they could, mostly annoying Filch and his cat, Mrs. Norris.

"Fred, hurry up!" Rubi urged the ginger, who was fixing the last firework to surprise the caretaker one evening.

"And done. Let's move." Fred answered and the trio moved out the room, waiting for the fireworks to go off, and to their luck Filch came limping back, his usual scowl set upon his face.

"Having to scrub those muddy footprints, stupid kids can't even clean themselves properly. Why if it was my way, I'd be hanging them from their toes!"

He kept muttering and headed right into his office and-

Bang!

"WEASLEYS AND BLACK! I KNOW IT WAS YOU!"

The trio burst out laughing and immediately began running as Filch was chasing them like a raging bull. George turned right while Fred and Rubi went left. Rubi glanced over her shoulder and saw Filch made a sharp left as well.

"Crap, he's still on us."

Rubi picked up the pace, Fred following her lead. As they rounded another corner, Rubi's eyes flew upon a wooden door and she ran towards it. She pulled open the door swiftly, getting in and beckoning Fred to come. Right as the ginger dashed in, the young Black slammed the door shut.

It was pitch black and they strained to listen for footsteps. A few seconds later, sound erupted out in the corridor and from the way it began to disappear as fast as it arrived, Filch had passed.

Rubi released the breath she was holding. A light suddenly lit up, blinding the girl temporarily.

"Ouch! Why did you have to light your wand in my face?" Rubi hissed, his eyes screwed shut.

"Sorry, love. Although, are you blinded by the light or my charming beauty?" Fred asked cockily.

Rubi snapped her eyes open and rolled them.

"The wand you dungbrain."

"Well, says the person clinging onto me."

Rubi's eyes widened, as she realized that Fred was speaking the truth. Rubi had been holding tightly onto Fred's shirt. She immediately released the material from between her fingers, clearing her throat awkwardly as she took a step back, only for her back to hit the wall.

"I was holding onto you because there's not much space in here." Rubi worded out, not looking Fred in the eye.

Fred smirked, "Whatever makes you sleep at night."

Rubi growled but chose not to say anything more.

More moments passed in silence before the door suddenly swung open. Rubi cringed, expecting to find Filch but felt surprise flood her as she found George in the doorway instead.

"Sooooo," He sang, "what are you two doing in a broom closet?"

Rubi narrowed her eyes, "Hiding from Filch of course."

George only grinned harder, "Hmm, sure thing."

Rubi looked up at Fred in confusion who looked red. With a shake of her head, Rubi shoved George to clear the doorway and stepped out.

"Well, let's get to dinner, boys."

And Rubi turned, flicking her hair over her shoulder as she began to strut down the corridor.