Chapter 44: The Goblet of Fire

There was a pleasant feeling of anticipation in the air that day. Nobody was very attentive in lessons, being much more interested in the arrival that evening of the people from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang; plus Potions was half an hour shorter. When the bell rang early, Harry, Ron, Rubi and Hermione hurried up to Gryffindor Tower, deposited their bags and books as they had been instructed, pulled on their cloaks, and rushed back downstairs into the entrance hall.

The Heads of Houses were ordering their students into lines.

"Weasley, straighten your hat," Professor McGonagall snapped at Ron.

"Miss. Patil, take that ridiculous thing out of your hair." Parvati scowled and removed a large ornamental butterfly from the end of her plait.

"Miss. Black, why is your hair a vivid pink and green? Turn into a less flashy colour if you prefer a change." Rubi grinned mischievously at McGonagall, as she had only changed her hair like that on purpose, but decided to go for a light, natural red.

"Better?"

"Yes. Follow me, please," said Professor McGonagall. "First years in front... no pushing..."

"You'd make a good Weasley with that hair." Fred whispered into her ear, earning a giggle from the girl.

"If that were true, your mother would definitely love me the best! Although, I am perfectly happy with being called a Black." She replied as they filed down the steps and lined up in front of the castle.

It was a cold, clear evening; dusk was falling and a pale, transparent looking moon was already shining over the Forbidden Forest. Rubi, standing between Fred and George at the top, was practically bouncing with excitement.

"Nearly six," she stated, checking her pocket watch, "How d'you reckon they're coming?

"Dunno, but I wish they'd hurry up or everyone is going to explode from excitement," said Fred.

They scanned the darkening grounds excitedly, but nothing was moving; everything was still, silent, and quite as usual. Rubi was starting to feel cold and her teeth had begun to chatter.

Fred, noticing the young Black's shivering form, handed her his scarf and brought her into him, allowing Rubi to share his body heat. Rubi inhaled his scent and smiled happily.

Dumbledore called out from the back row where he stood with the other teachers- "Aha! Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!"

"Where?" said many students eagerly, all looking in different directions.

"There!" yelled a sixth year, pointing over the forest. Something large, much larger than a broomstick- or, indeed, a hundred broomsticks- was hurtling across the deep blue sky toward the castle, growing larger all the time.

"It's a dragon!" shrieked one of the first years, causing Rubi to chuckle.

"Don't be stupid... it's a flying house!" said Dennis Creevey. Dennis's guess was closer...

As the gigantic black shape skimmed over the treetops of the Forbidden Forest and the lights shining from the castle windows hit it, they saw a gigantic, powder blue, horse-drawn carriage, the size of a large house, soaring toward them, pulled through the air by a dozen winged horses, all palominos, and each the size of an elephant.

The front three rows of students drew backward as the carriage hurtled ever lower, coming in to land at a tremendous speed- then, with an almighty crash. A second later, the carriage landed too, bouncing upon its vast wheels, while the golden horses tossed their enormous heads and rolled large, fiery red eyes. The door of the carriage bore a coat of arms (two crossed, golden wands, each emitting three stars) before it opened.