Chapter 1: A Dream Come True

(Also pronunciation of the name Rubina is something on the lines of Roo-bee-nah. Her nickname Rubi is pronounced the same as the word Ruby)

The sky was painted a fiery red with a hint of pink, as the sun set for the day. I was eagerly awaiting for tomorrow, because it was September the First, the day I departed for Hogwarts.

Hogwarts, the school I had dreamed of going to since a very young age.

I kept pacing around in search of anything I may have missed to pack, although this seemed to be happening because of my mixed emotions.

I was beyond excited to finally attend, because for a particular reason that was unknown to me, my mum didn't let me go for my first two years, and I was home-schooled instead.

Until quite recently, in July we were visited by the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore himself, and he seemed to have convinced my mum to let me go. It was almost like magic.

Seeming more assured, my mum agreed to let me attend. Ever since then, I've been eagerly waiting for the first of September.

"Rubina, come down sweetie!" My mum yelled, and I broke out of my trance.

As I walked into the dining room, the smell of roasted chicken awaited me.

"That smells good!" I said, as I sat down and grabbed a plate.

"I know it's one of your favorites so I decided to make it, so you could have a good last dinner before heading off to school." she replied as sadness washed over her face again.

"Mum, I'll be alright, I promise that I'll write to you everyday. Happy?"

That seemed to have relieved her a bit, and a smile crept on her face. I smiled back.

I love how pretty my mum is. Fiona Black, has blonde hair, with dark brown eyes. Her face always wears a warm smile, which brightens anyone's day.

My Mum, Fiona Black was born and raised in Britain. One day, she was visited by McGonagall herself, shocking my Mum and her parents that she was a witch. Since my grandparents were muggles, with no magical blood, my Mum became a muggle-born witch.

I would listen to her go on and on about her childhood, how she spent time with her family laughing, and the wonders of Hogwarts, but for some reason, she would go speechless whenever I asked her about my father.

She told me how they married, turning her from Fiona Thompson to Fiona Black, and told me that my dad's name was Daniel Black. After that, she would say that he had passed away when I was young, but yet, I suspected her that she wasn't telling me the truth, since she never described how he looked, what his personality was, or ever showed me any pictures, but I always let the matter go, noticing the hurt that flickered through my Mum's eyes each time this topic was mentioned.

As we ate, I felt her gaze on me but each time I looked up, she would be looking down at her plate. After finishing, I helped clear out the table and headed off for bed early, so as not to be late for the next day, but I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.

***

I laid that night in bed, tossing and turning but sleep wasn't coming. I was lost in my own thoughts, wondering what awaited me and how I was going to blend in. Sure, I was a prankster and got chased around by my Mum at least once a day, but I became stiff and silent around unfamiliar people.

Drowned in those thoughts, I was asleep before I knew it.

***

"Rubi, wake up! You'll get late!" I felt my mum shake me, forcing me to get up.

"I'll get up in a minute." I groaned as I threw the blanket over my head.

"But you might miss the train!"

At those words, my eyes shot open and I sat up immediately.

"I forgot! I'm up!" I answered back, as I ran off towards the bathroom,
while my mum just shook her head, smiling.

***               

We hurried through King's Cross, on our way to the barrier between Platforms 9 and 10. My stomach felt sick, and I could feel sweat forming on my forehead.

"You want me to run with you, Rubi?" My mum asked, to which I replied,

"Yes, that would be wonderful."

We set our gaze straight, and I felt my mum's hand on my back, then we ran, I closed my eyes fearing we were going to hit the wall, but I slowly opened them when my mum said,

"We're on the platform dear."

I was awestruck by the scarlet steam train called the Hogwarts Express.

I can't believe I'm actually going to Hogwarts. I thought.

We quickly put my trunk on the train, and then before I was about to board the train, I turned to face my Mum, reflecting her expression.

I embraced her tightly, and felt a tear go down my cheek as I said in her ear,

"I'm going to miss you Mum."

"I am too, but hey" we pulled apart "you've always wanted to go and wouldn't stop complaining, but now you will get to go to Hogwarts."

She brushed away a tear and I smiled up at her, before saying,

"Goodbye Mum."

"Bye Rubi." She replied, and I turned and stepped onto the train.

I waved at her until the train turned a corner and the platform was gone from sight.

Sighing to myself, I looked around for a compartment, avoiding the eyes of the people around me.

Well, there is the first chapter. It's not much, but more just to set up and get some background information about characters out to the readers. It will pick up in the upcoming chapters (Hopefully)! 

:)

Mini-Padfoot