Chapter 37: A Different Birthday

Rubi woke up with the sunlight peeking through the blinds and on her face. She smiled, and sitting up she stretched her arms before gazing at the closed curtains.

It was August 16.

The day Rubina Aurora Black was born.

Rubina got changed for the day, throwing on a black summer dress with white and light pink flowers here and there. She put on a necklace with a "R" on it, put on some sandals and went down. Once down, she was greeted with the smell of freshly baked cake.

"Happy birthday."

To her surprise, instead of her mother being the first she saw, it was her godfather.

"I didn't know you would be here!" Rubi exclaimed before rushing into Remus' arms who planted a kiss on her head.

"I couldn't miss my goddaughter's birthday now could I?"

"Thank you for coming."

"Can't believe she's forgotten all about her mother because of you, Rem."

Rubi looked behind her godfather to find her mother gazing at her with a teasing expression.

"Oh mum, of course I haven't!" she said wrapping her arms around Fiona, before looking up with a mischievous look in her eyes, "Well, maybe I have."

Fiona shook her head with a gentle smile, "Happy birthday."

"Thank you."

"You know," Fiona said, talking more to Remus than her daughter, "it's hard to believe how fast the two of these have grown."

Remus nodded, "I can still remember that day very clearly."

Fiona let out a chuckle, "I can remember a certain someone being afraid of holding my baby girl, all because he thinks he is a monster." She said gazing at Remus with a knowing look in her eyes, the latter going a bit pink in the face.

"Wait, what?" Rubi said with a grin taking over her face before she burst out laughing, "You did not, Remus!"

"Oh yes he did." Fiona replied, Remus was awkwardly rubbing a hand on his neck now. "He wouldn't hold Harry either when he was born, and that day Sirius-" She paused, "and I decided that instead of Lily and James being your godparents, it would be Remus since he needed to learn that he isn't a monster and he can't harm children. It was our way of trying to make him realize that he can have a family too."

At the word family Remus suddenly flinched, flashes of the past racing back to him, memories that had haunted him back then and still did. That incident that felt as if his life was over.

"And, since Remus was the godfather we thought it wouldn't be fair for James if Lily was the godmother, since James was upset at first that we had changed our decision. Instead, we chose another one of my friends." Fiona paused, taking in a breath. "Maya."

"Wait, who?"

"Maya Patil. She was in our year at Hogwarts, she's part of the Patil family."

Rubi slowly nodded. "That's why the name sounds familiar."

"Cake time, I think." The two adults sang happy birthday before they all had some cake, and tea courtesy of Remus before he had to leave due to having some tasks to complete that day, the reason he had visited so early.

Later that afternoon, Rubi found letters from her friends. The twins, Hermione, Ginny, Cedric, Ron, Harry and the last from her father. She went through them all, each making her more and more happy before she wrote replies and sent Nightwing out once more.