Chapter 26: Date With Diggory

No one in Gryffindor Tower slept that night. Everyone knew that the castle was being searched again, and the whole house stayed awake in the common room, waiting to hear if Black had been caught.

I couldn't understand how he managed to get into the girl's dormitory, but moreover the fact he was apologising.

Why was he saying sorry? Could he be innocent? Maybe it wasn't him that ni - No! If Mum believes him as guilty then I shouldn't fall for his act either. He betrayed us all that night, he was probably apologising to get me to believe him.

The twins, Lee and I had taken the seats by the fireplace. I kept my head on Fred's shoulder, and he held me tight, but no one spoke a word. Professor McGonagall came back at dawn, to tell us that he had again escaped.

Everywhere I went the next day there were signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to recognise a large picture of Sirius Black; Filch was suddenly bustling up and down the corridors, boarding up everything from tiny cracks in the walls to mouse holes. Sir Cadogan had been sacked, fortunately, as I was tired of him. His portrait had been taken back to it's lonely landing on the seventh floor, and the Fat Lady was back. She had been expertly restored, but was still extremely nervous, and had only agreed to return to her job on condition she was given extra protection. A bunch of surly security trolls had been hired to guard her. They paced the corridor in a menacing group, talking in grunts and comparing the size of their clubs.

Ron had become an instant celebrity, and he was rather enjoying the attention, although still shaken by the night's events, he was happy to tell anyone who asked, what had happened with a wealth of detail.

All I couldn't comprehend was what Sirius Black's intention that night was. He left my dormitory without harming anybody, and he ripped the curtain's on Ron's bed, and escaped when he had been found.

If he's after me and Harry, how come he didn't kill me in my sleep, and do the same to Harry?

Rubbing my temples, I got up to leave the library after finishing my homework. I was so distracted that I didn't realize a certain Hufflepuff was tailing me. A tap on the shoulder frightened me, causing me to jump and nearly attack the newcomer.

"Woah! It's me!" I stared a few seconds before realising I was standing in front of Cedric Diggory.

"Oh, sorry Cedric."

"A lot on your mind?"

I smiled, "You could say that. Anyways, what can I do for you?"

I noticed him shift nervously from foot to foot, and rub the back of his neck. "Well, there's a Hogsmeade trip this Saturday and I was wondering if you would like to go with me?"

"Oh." I was stunned, this was not what I had expected at all. I stood deep in thought. The boy looked very hopeful and I did not want to break his heart, therefore I agreed.

"Sure." HIs face broke into a big smile, which made me understand why girls seem to go crazy about him.

"Great, I'll meet you in the Entrance Hall at eleven. See you then." With a wave, he turned around and walked down the corridor and out of sight, while I turned on my heels and headed towards Gryffindor Tower.

Saying the password and gaining entry (while remaining wary about the trolls) I entered and not finding Fred, George or Lee in sight, I retreated to the girl's dormitory, and found Hermione perched upon her bed. She looked up from her book that she was reading and her face brightened,

"Hey Rubi!"

"Hi Mione."

She studied me for a bit before realising something's up. Putting her book aside, she said, "What's wrong?"