Chapter 29: Padfoot's Tale

I inhaled sharply as I stared at the escapee as my jaw fell open. A scream crawled its way up my throat, but before it was unleashed into the night, Sirius's hand covered my mouth, preventing any noise from escaping. My eyes widened even more at the action.

"Please don't scream." He pleaded. "I won't hurt you, but please don't scream." He said. "I'm slowly going to remove my hand, you won't yell if I do?"

I'm not sure what compelled me to but I found myself nodding, agreeing to his terms. Cautiously, Sirius retracted his hand, as my eyes followed his every movement, because I was petrified onto the spot with shock and fear. He rubbed the back of his neck,

"Maybe, let's talk in a more private place." Only when Sirius's hand was enclosed around my wrist, trying to tug me along did I regain my senses.

"No." I started shaking my head as I attempted to free myself. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

Sirius closed his eyes and sighed in exasperation. "Rubi, I know you don't trust me, but it's important for you to hear me out."

Those words were all it took for my fear to vanish instantly as a raging fire was alight in me. My hands balled into fists, as my hair turned the deepest shade of red. Sirius sensed the change as he alarmingly released my hand and carefully backed away.

"Hear you out? You want me to listen to you cook up some story so I will believe you?! You want me to listen to you about how you justify the crime you committed?!" I shouted at him fiercely.

Sirius' head hung in almost what seemed like shame and guilt. When he moved his head back up to meet my eyes, they were puffy and red.

"I know how you feel about me, but if you would just let me explain everything to you, I can assure you that I'm innocent." His voice was croaky and cracked near the end.

I shut my eyes tightly as I breathed to help lower the fire within. Opening my eyes, I weighed my options as I looked at Sirius.

Well, he's wandless. He can transform into a dog, and maybe he might be carrying a weapon with him, but with a wand I could probably stop him. Plus, I have the map and cloak.

I sighed. "Fine, but make it quick." His face lit up like a little child presented with candy. "But," Sirius' happiness dimmed a bit, "any funny business and I'll immediately report you."

"Done." He said. "Follow me."

I pointed my wand at the map in my hand. "Mischief Managed." The map once more, resembled nothing but a tattered old piece of parchment, and I pocketed it. Bending down and grabbing the cloak, I straightened myself before following the raven haired man from a safe distance, whilst gripping my wand tightly. Confusion washed over me as we came to a halt by the large, dangerous Whomping willow, which had begun its movement to attack when suddenly it stopped.

"Amazing, right?"

Hearing the voice, I wiped the awe off my face, allowing a mask to conceal my emotions as I found Sirius studying me.

"Let's get this over with." I spoke bitterly. I realised he was holding a long stick that was touching a certain knot on the roots, freezing the majestic tree entirely. Sirius moved toward an opening in the trunk, large enough to let a human through. He bent down and vanished from sight.

I hope I won't regret this.

With that final thought, I copied his action. I slid down and hit the ground with a thud. Padfoot greeted me and led me down a tunnel, the farther we walked the more narrow it got causing me to bend down to avoid hitting my head. After what seemed like ages, an opening appeared and Padfoot climbed out, while I followed suit. My head came up and the view was strange.