Chapter 43: A Message from Dadfoot

The other three kept cracking jokes and hatching ideas but when Rubi didn't seem to speak much, that's when Fred realized something was off.Fred gently nudged Rubi, startling the girl, who jumped in her seat before she turned her head to the side.

Fred gave her an are you alright look, to which Rubi shook her head lightly. The redhead didn't question or say anything, instead, he wrapped an arm around her, pulling her into him in an effort to comfort her as he continued on with his conversation. Rubi relaxed into him, feeling better already.

She just didn't feel good about witnessing spells that had tortured and killed many innocent people. Used by those followers of the Dark Wizard who had targeted her family, changing all their lives.

Later in the common room, Fred asked if she was feeling better to which Rubi expressed why she was unsettled in the first place. Although she showed her gratitude for Fred's help by embracing the taller boy tightly. After that, George joined them and Fred left to work on something which they did not exactly tell Rubi what. On the other hand, Rubi sat with Harry and his friends, since she also had to complete the same homework as them, plus she found it highly amusing watching Hermione talking about S.P.E.W.

"And how do we do all this?" Harry asked Hermione as she finished her explanation.

"We start by recruiting members," said Hermione happily. "I thought two Sickles to join- that buys a badge- and the proceeds can fund our leaflet campaign. You're treasurer, Ron- I've got you a collecting tin upstairs- and Harry, you're secretary, so you might want to write down everything I'm saying now, as a record of our first meeting."

There was a pause in which Hermione beamed at the pair of them, and Harry sat, torn between exasperation at Hermione and amusement at the look on Ron's face. Rubi was trying her hardest to not make a sound, as her face had gone red from the effort of preventing her laughter. She was biting hard on the inside of her cheek.

The silence was broken by a soft tap, tap on the window. Looking across the now almost empty common room and they saw, illuminated by the moonlight, a snowy owl perched on the windowsill.

"Hedwig!" Harry said, and he launched himself out of his chair and across the room to pull open the window. Hedwig flew inside, soared across the room, and landed on the table on top of Harry's predictions. "About time!" said Harry, hurrying after her.

"She's got an answer!" said Ron excitedly, pointing at the grubby piece of parchment tied to Hedwig's leg. "Wait, there's two pieces of parchment?"

Harry untied the two scrolls, and glanced at them both before tossing one at Rubi, which hit her in the face and she huffed. The metamorphmagus picked up the small piece of parchment curiously, to find it was addressed to her surprise.

Rubi,

I'm flying north immediately.

Rubi blanched, "He's WHAT?!"

A few heads turned to stare at her, to which she rolled her eyes. "Mind your own business, you tosspots!" She barked, and they all turned away, shaking their heads as they muttered under their breath. Rubi's eyes fell back onto the words marking the parchment,

Harry's scar is hurting, and it is the latest in terms of strange rumours that have gotten to me here. I want you to keep an eye on your cousin. Not only that, make sure to stay alert as well for yourself, both of you, look out for one another. Something is brewing out in the unknown, as if it's the calm before the storm.

Stay on guard and I will be in touch with you soon.

Dad

Rubi's face was scrunched up in confusion as she finally looked up to see Harry had just finished as well.