Chapter 36: Shocking Reveal

Remus had come over a week later for dinner, and the pair of godfather and goddaughter had come to the decision to reveal to Fiona the true story. As the three ate dinner, the atmosphere was full of joy and Rubi had never seen her mother so full of life before. It's as if being with Remus again had instilled a new life in her that had died along with her loved ones on that tragic Hallowe'en night of 1981. Now the three were seated in the sitting room, Remus on an armchair, Rubi was seated on a bean bag as she watched the two. Remus caught her eye and nodded, earning a nod in return from Rubina as she sucked in a breath anxiously.

"Fiona."

The sudden tone of Remus' voice caught Fiona's attention and her laughter died away. She didn't like that tone, this was one of the voices he used when speaking of a serious matter, something he usually did when they were in the war.

"Yes?" She asked hesitantly.

"We need to talk."

"About?"

"The truth."

She blinked, "What truth? What are you talking about?"

Remus sighed before looking Fiona straight in the eye, "The truth about Sirius."

Fiona's face went pale before a small amount of anger washed over.

"What about him?"

Remus rubbed his face before letting his gaze fall on the ground. "He's innocent, Sirius is an innocent man."

Total silence. Fiona's face went white as she froze. Her eyes were pooling with tears. Remus tentatively reached out for Fiona's hand.

"Fiona-"

"No!" She suddenly stood up, raising a shaky finger at Remus. "Don't lie! Whatever he told you it's not true, it was him who tried to kill us. I-I fell in love with a... murderer." And her breaths were coming out shaky, tears were racing down Fiona's face.

Remus stood up releasing a sad sigh and held Fiona by the shoulders, pushing her gently down.

"Sit. We'll explain everything." At that Fiona's eyes flickered to her daughter who was now staring at the ground, and as Fiona sat down Rubi spoke.

"Mum, it's a long story."

Remus and Rubi both worked together to retell the whole scene, from when Rubi first met Sirius in his animagus form, to all the way to the letter she received from her father saying he was safe.

By the end, Fiona was in shock. She was staring unblinkingly at the ground, her eyes red and unable to process what was told to her. She was feeling many emotions. She couldn't believe that she had been living a lie for so many years.

Remus and Rubi shared a look, before Remus placed a hand on Fiona's hand that was resting on her thigh. Upon contact, she flinched and looked up at her best friend before her lip quivered. Next second, horrible, heart wrenching sobs were coming out of her mouth.

"I-I'm a horrible person, h-he loves m-me and I-I did-" Remus got up and sat down beside her, wrapping his arms around her. Fiona cried into Remus' chest, pouring out all her heart's emotions. Remus himself looked in pain due to his sister's heartbreak, but he was holding it in for her. Fiona needed the support. Rubi found it too hard to watch and left for her room.

In her room, Rubi pulled out the letter her father had sent her while she was on the train. She leaned against her headboard and began reading it once more, and as she read through she cried.

***

The house didn't hold that atmosphere like it usually did, it felt more like the last Christmas when Fiona had told Rubi of her father. Fiona was still moving around, but her usual warm smile wasn't there. Her mind was wandering off somewhere else and she had closed off. Rubi's mood had toned down drastically due to her mother. However, a few days before her birthday, Rubi received a letter from a dear one, upon which she brightened up instantly. Fred Weasley had written once again to Rubina Black.

Dear Rubi,

So like I had said at the platform, I would ask mum about inviting you to the Quidditch World Cup. Dad managed to get tickets for everyone and there is one available for you. George and I were hoping you could come over two days before, since it's a special day then for you, m'lady.

We hope you will grace us with your presence.

Love,

Fred

P.S. George says he needs his pranking best friend back and he's even marking down the days on the calendar. 

There was a small scribble

Hi, it's George and it's Fred that has been counting down the days. 

The words had been scibbled over but Rubi was slightly able to make out the last sentence.

Rubi smiled widely and her mood had uplifted. That evening, she snuck into her mother's room. Fiona was gazing out the window and into the neighborhood. Muggle children running out and about, families sitting out at the front watching their kids with smiles.

"Mum."

Fiona turned to look at her daughter. "Come here, sweetie." The two sat on the bed.

"I'm sorry." said Fiona. "I'm sorry for behaving the way I did for the past few days. It's very hard to believe what actually happened, I still feel as if I'm being lied to. I don't know what to believe." She paused, "But I'm very sorry, I shouldn't have closed off like that, I should have thought more of you-"

"No, it's alright." Rubi said cutting across her mother, "It must be hard and I'm not mad at you for acting like that."

Fiona smiled and leaned forward to kiss her daughter on that forehead, "I'm so lucky to have you as my daughter."

"And I'm very glad to call you mum." Rubi said smiling before she pulled out the letter from her pocket, "I got a letter from my friend, Fred, who says I can go to the Quidditch World Cup with them. Can I go?"

"Quidditch brings back many memories." Fiona said nostalgically, "but yes, you can go."

Rubi squealed in excitement, "Yes! Thank you!" She exclaimed and almost tackled her mother when throwing her arms around Fiona, who embraced her back lovingly.

"This is so exciting! I miss them so much, and Fred said he wanted to show me something once I came over and-"

"So, Fred, huh?" Fiona said with a teasing smile making Rubi go quiet.

"What! No, it's nothing like that-"

"Your uncle Moony has told me everything. Don't worry," She winked, "I don't have any problems with you dating someone.

Rubi's face went red while her hair turned a vibrant pink.

"I'm like my mother, your grandmother, Euphemia Potter. She never objected to me having any relationship." Fiona then rolled her eyes with a smile, "My dad, Fleamont Potter, was a bit hesitant, and don't get me started on James. Always saying that his baby sister can't date someone, even though I'm the older one and I can make my own choices." Her smile turned sad, "they were good times though."

"I know we can't replace or recreate those times, but we can definitely make new memories." Rubi said.

"That we can."

Hi!

So there's the next chapter and I know it's a bit short but yeah. How are all of you doing? Any ideas for upcoming plot? Have a good day! <33

-S.B.