Chapter 18: The Confrontation On Christmas

After writing my letters of thank yous and sending them off with the family owl Nightwing, a light grey coloured Great Horned Owl with patches of dark grey and a hint of cinnamon, with piercing yellow eyes, who Mum had bought recently, I entered the kitchen to find Snowmen and Santa pancakes on the dining table, while Mum was merrily humming along to a song on the radio. A Christmas themed breakfast has become a tradition, since Mum likes to perform this each year for as long as I can remember. Last year, it was waffles that were decorated with fruit to make various Christmas images.

I grinned as I ate, but it slowly faded away as I wondered if today is the day to ask for the truth.

After debating with myself, I settled on the idea of confronting my Mother as this is a very important matter and shouldn't be delayed any further.

***

The evening had arrived and Mum was cheerful as ever. It broke my heart to have to question her now out of all times, but this circumstance needs to be solved now rather than later.

Mum was seated in the living room, a content smile plastered onto her warm face as she gazed out the window, watching the snow slowly drift towards the ground, while the radio blasted Christmas carols.

Taking a deep breath, I walked over and turned off the radio. Mum looked at me with questioning eyes. Reading the look on my face, her expression turned into concern.

"Rubina, honey, what's wrong?" I sat across from her. I inhaled once again as I tore my gaze away from the floor to meet my Mum's eyes.

"Mum, I know it's Christmas but we need to talk." Her face paled slightly.

"About what?" she asked slowly with a raised brow.

"About my dad." The remaining colour drained from her face.

" The remaining colour drained from her face

"Wh-what about your dad?" she stuttered.

"The truth." I firmly said.

"I already told you the t-truth."

I let out a frustrated sigh before I spoke. "Mum, your stuttering only makes me more suspicious." My lips quivered. "Mum, is my dad..." I trailed off, not being able to spit out the next words. "Is my dad, Sirius Black?"

Her eyes widened. "Wh-what makes you s-say that?" she asked in barely a whisper. I sighed, and I started playing with my hair.

"Well, I heard things while at the Three Broomsticks when Professor McGonagall was having a conversation with her group. She said that Sirius Black married a woman named Fiona." I glanced at my Mum, who was on the verge of tears. "She said that the two married in secret because of the dark times. She even said that Black attempted to kill his wife and child on Voldemort's orders." My Mum's lips trembled, but I didn't stop there. "I also heard Professor McGonagall say that his daughter looks just like him." I sighed once again. "Now you tell me," I said as I met my mother's eyes that were full of pain and grief. "Your name is Fiona and what chances are there that someone else with the same name was at school with you? Your name became Fiona Black after marriage, and-" I choked back a sob. "After I overheard the conversation at the Three Broomsticks, I pulled out a picture of Sirius Black, only to find similarities between us. Now, you tell me if this is all a big misunderstanding." I gazed at my mother with pleading eyes.

We sat in silence for a while, stealing glances at one another before Fiona Black finally uttered the truth.

"It's true." she said in a low voice. I gasped as my suspicion was proven to be correct. Although I had seen this coming, my mind went numb with the shocking reveal.

She sighed. "Let me tell you the full story." Wiping away a few tears that had rolled down her cheeks, she began narrating her past. "Sirius and James were best friends ever since the first year. I wasn't very fond of Sirius and didn't like him much. It was like that for many years, he would keep bugging me and it would only make me frustrated and mad. Near the end of our fifth year, things changed slightly, and when Sirius began to live with us during the summer, my views changed on him. It wasn't until our sixth year that we both confessed and we were in a relationship since then. After we had completed our education at Hogwarts, Sirius proposed to me. I immediately said yes." 

She smiled lightly as she remembered that very moment. "James and Lily had married earlier that year. I on the other hand, preferred to keep the wedding a secret, given the fact that we were in a war. I convinced Sirius that we could throw a party post the war, officially declaring to everyone that we're married." She paused to look at me, and tears were flowing from my eyes.

"Things weren't getting better but our world was brightened with the news of us becoming parents. We were afraid of having a baby during the war, but happy nonetheless." She smiled while her eyes remained red and puffy. " We cried with joy as we welcomed our precious jewel to the world, therefore naming you Rubina. Your middle name became Aurora because you had brought a new light of bliss and hope. Therefore, your name became Rubina Aurora Black." My face brightened with those words.

Hey, hey, hey!!

So what did you all think of this chapter? This is chapter is another I was really excited to post! Some shocking details of Rubina's and Fiona's past of been revealed, but wait there's still more!! :)

Question:

What twist in the Harry Potter series surprised you the most?

I don't even know because there's so many, but maybe Snape because I didn't really expect something like that from him, considering his personality we see in the series.

Have a good day! :)

Mini-Padfoot