Chapter 31: Snivellus

It took a few seconds for the absurdity of this statement to sink in. Then Ron voiced his thought,

"You're both mental."

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

Despite the absurdity, I considered the words, replaying the conversations I'd had earlier with Black and Lupin.

It can't be possible, can it? I mean if Remus says so then maybe it is. What if Remus is lying too? No, no! He can't be, Mum trusts him just like she did all those years ago. But then again...

I internally groaned, desperately finding myself falling deeper and deeper into a hole of confusion.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Sirius, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me... not this time, though!"

Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Sirius lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Black's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Sirius, NO!" Remus yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Sirius away from Ron again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that - they need to understand - we've got to explain-"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Sirius, trying to throw Remus off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to escape. I cringed at the sight.

"They've - got - a - right - to - know - everything!" Remus panted, still trying to restrain the convicted escapee. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand, and Harry - you owe Harry the truth, Sirius! And what about your daughter, Sirius! You owe her the truth the most! She needs to understand why you weren't there for her as a child!"

Sirius stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Black said, without taking his eyes off the rat.

"Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for..."

I stiffened as I was referenced in the conversation. I gritted my teeth, hair beginning to turn crimson as a fire lit up inside me.

Hermione gasped loudly, her wide eyes turning onto me. "Rubi, y-you're his-"

"Unfortunately." I bitterly spat out. The realisation dawned upon the faces of Ron and Harry, their expressions darkening.

"I can't believe you!" Harry pointed a finger accusingly at me, "You've been helping him?" He said referring to Sirius. "You lied to us all?"

"Don't. You. Dare. Harry James Potter!" I said menacingly. "I've only provided him food since I've met him since there is a thing called humanity. Otherwise, he's as guilty in my eyes as he was before I met him. As for lying," I added, my head held high, "No, I didn't lie. I only found out some time ago who my real father is, and the truth stings."

Harry closed his mouth, the trio still slightly wary of me but chose not to make a further comment, returning their attention to both of the adults in the room.

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily, looking round at Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Remus raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.