Chapter 16: Suspicions

Soon November was gone, and December had arrived. With the snow, came the Christmas spirit as decorations were being put up in the castle.

The last weekend before the end of term was a Hogsmeade weekend. The twins didn't go this time, no matter how much I pestered them. Instead I asked Hermione, who was more than happy to let me join them.

We were headed to the Three Broomsticks, with Harry under his invisibility cloak. Turns out, Fred and George had passed the Marauder's Map to Harry. I reassured Harry that I wouldn't report him to a teacher for sneaking out into Hogsmeade, given the fact I caused mischief half the time. Hermione wasn't happy, considering the whole Sirius Black situation and that he was after Harry, which shocked me.

The Three Broomsticks was extremely crowded, noisy but warm.

"That's Madam Rosmerta." I whispered to Harry, gesturing to a woman serving at the bar. 

Ron turned slightly red as he insisted on grabbing the drinks. Meanwhile, the three of us found a small, vacant table, near the back of the room, where the Christmas tree was. Ron returned five minutes later, with four foaming tankards of hot Butterbeer.

"Happy Christmas!" he said happily, raising his tankard.

"Ooh, Butterbeer! Try it Harry, you'll love it!" I said a little too excitedly.

The door to the Three Broomsticks opened once again, allowing a cool breeze to enter. Harry nearly choked seeing Professors McGonagall, Flitwick enter, along with Hagrid, and the Minister for Magic himself, Cornelius Fudge.

Harry was shoved under the table by his two best friends, as he wasn't supposed to be in Hogsmeade in the first place.

"Mobiliarbus!" Hermione whispered, carefully moving the Christmas tree, which had risen in the air a few inches, to block us from view. After the newly arrived group had ordered, Madam Rosmerta went back to them with their orders.

"So, what brings you to this neck of the woods, Minister?" Madam Rosmerta asked. Fudge glanced around to make sure no eavesdropper was present, before he spoke in a low voice,

"What else, m'dear, but Sirius Black? I daresay you heard what happened up at the school at Hallowe'en?"

"I did hear a rumour," admitted Madam Rosmerta.

"Did you tell the whole pub, Hagrid?" said Professor McGonagall exasperatedly.

"Do you think Black's still in the area, Minister?" whispered Madam Rosmerta.

"I'm sure of it." said Fudge shortly.

"You know that the Dementors have searched my pub twice?" said Madam Rosmerta, a slight edge to her voice. "Scared all my customers away... it's very bad for business, Minister."

"Rosmerta m'dear, I don't like them any more than you do. Necessary precaution... Unfortunate, but there you are." Fudge said.

"I still have trouble believing it." said Madam Rosmerta thoughtfully. "Of all the people to go over to the Dark Side, Sirius Black was the last I'd have thought... I mean, I remember him when he was a boy at Hogwarts. If you'd told me then what he was going to become, I'd have said you'd had too much mead." Madam Rosmerta said.

"You don't know the half of it, Rosmerta," said Fudge gruffly. "The worst he did isn't widely known."

"The worst?" said Madam Rosmerta with curiosity. "Worse than murdering all those poor people, you mean?"

"I certainly do." said Fudge.

"I can't believe that. What could possibly be worse?"

"You say you remember him at Hogwarts, Rosmerta?" murmured Professor McGonagall. "Do you remember who his best friend was?"