Chapter 49: Books and Dadfoot

The next two weeks went by in detest for Snape, hatred for Rita Skeeter and her false articles, Ron and Harry still not on speaking terms, the twins and Lee and Rubi going around pranking, Fred and Rubi sneaking out at night to visit places like the kitchens or astronomy tower at night.

Soon the day of a Hogsmeade trip came, which would mean Harry would be speaking to Sirius that night. Rubi had been asked to come along as well by her father, given that Harry wanted her there.

Now, Rubi and Hermione were seated at a table in the Three Broomsticks, with Harry under his cloak, sipping their Butterbeers. Rubi had decided to tag along with them, given it would be awkward for Hermione to be talking and sitting by herself, when she in reality wasn't.

Rubi saw Fred, George and Lee along with Ron, at a table not too far away. Fred looked up as he sensed someone watching him and when his gaze connected with Rubi's, he softly smiled and waved a hand at her, making Rubi return the gesture, her heart doing a flip.

Hermione had taken out her notebook containing her S.P.E.W. Organization details. Rubi had signed up not too late after Ron and Harry were appointed roles, and she would say it was rather amusing to listen to Hermione and her antics.

"You know, maybe I should try and get some of the villagers involved in S.P.E.W.," Hermione said thoughtfully, looking around the pub.

"Yeah, right," said Harry. He took a swig of butterbeer under his cloak. "Hermione, when are you going to give up on this spew stuff?"

"When house-elves have decent wages and working conditions!" she hissed back. "You know, I'm starting to think it's time for more direct action. I wonder how you get into the school kitchens?"

"No idea, ask Fred and George," said Harry. Hermione lapsed into thoughtful silence, while Harry drank his butterbeer, watching the people in the pub.

Rubi cleared her throat, hinting at the fact she knew where the entrance to the kitchens was, and when Harry didn't respond, she huffed irritably.

"Well, dear cousin, Fred and George aren't the only ones who know where the kitchens are." Rubi stated smugly, twirling a piece of her hair as she awaited their reactions.

Hermione's face beamed at her, "Oh please do show me when we get back, Rubi!" The young Granger squealed.

Rubi smiled, "Of course, Mione." Hermione threw her arms around Rubi, and embraced her tightly in a gesture that meant thank you.

"Look, it's Hagrid!" said Hermione, after she pulled away from the black haired girl. The back of Hagrid's enormous shaggy head- he had mercifully abandoned his bunches- emerged over the crowd. He was with Mad-Eye Moody.

The two got up to leave. Moody, however, paused, his magical eye on the corner where the trio was. He tapped Hagrid in the small of the back (being unable to reach his shoulder), muttered something to him, and then the pair of them made their way back across the pub toward Harry, Rubi and Hermione's table.

"All right, Hermione, Rubi?" said Hagrid loudly.

"Hello," said Hermione, smiling back.

"Hiya, Hagrid! How have you been?" Rubi asked politely.

Hagrid let out a booming laugh. "Ah I've been doin' alrigh."

Moody limped around the table and bent down; as if he was reading the S.P.E.W. notebook, but then Rubi noticed his lips moving and assumed he was talking to Harry.

Hagrid was beaming down at Harry too. Moody must have told him, and Rubi assumed Moody's magical eye allowed him to spot Harry in the first place. Hagrid now bent down on the pretext of reading the S.P.E.W. notebook as well, in order to whisper to Harry.