Chapter 22: Padfoot & Godfather

I made my way through the great oak doors and out into the grounds of Hogwarts, carrying a small basket of fruit, courtesy of Blinky.

"Padfoot!" I called, when I neared the Whomping Willow. "Padfoot! Where are you buddy?"

Woof!

I spun around at the familiar bark. There stood the shaggy, black dog, joyful as ever, wagging his tail.

"Hey." I said as I sat down, placing the basket beside me. Before I could completely turn however, Padfoot had tackled me onto the ground, licking my face.

"Alright! Alright! I missed you too!" I said as I managed to calm the hyper dog down, and sat up. "Here," I opened up the basket and pushed it towards Padfoot, "I brought some food, seeing you might not have had much chances of eating out here. Also, happy holidays, even though it's pretty late for that, and I'm pretty sure you might not be able to understand what I'm saying." He howled, almost as if he was laughing. He immediately buried his face in the basket, biting anything that came into contact with his mouth.

I chuckled at the sight, and slowly shifted my gaze towards the majestic castle. Hogwarts. I smiled happily to myself, thinking of my second home. I started humming a tune to myself, and slowly closed my eyes, leaving my surroundings and entering my own world.

I lost track of time but suddenly remembering I had a friend in my company, my eyes snapped open and I looked towards Padfoot, who seemed to be watching me with amusement.

"I'm sorry, I totally forgot that you were here. You know," My eyes trailed upwards towards the blue sky, with fluffy white clouds, "I haven't had much time to myself, and if I do I only have one thing on my mind, which is Christmas." The warmth on my face had been replaced with something else. A broken expression. Sensing my emotions, Padfoot laid his head on my lap. Mindlessly, I was stroking his head as my thoughts poured out uncontrollably.

"A huge truth was revealed to me and it isn't pleasant." Something boiled inside me. Anger. "I can't believe he'd do that!" My hand had formed a fist now. "That traitor, and I have to live with the fact that he's my father! Stupid, treacherous Sirius Black!" Padfoot stiffened.

I took a relaxing deep breath in, and exhaled, blowing off some steam. "You know what? It doesn't matter if he's my dad. Barely anyone knows, in other words, no one cares. I don't want anything to do with the likes of him" I huffed.

I heard a growl, and looked down only to find Padfoot had vanished. He was up on all fours, looking almost infuriated.

I swiftly stood up, alarmed by his sudden change of behaviour. "Easy boy." With my hands raised, I cautiously took steps backwards. There was a look in his eyes that I couldn't quite decipher. Suddenly, Padfoot turned and bounded away, deep into the darkness of the Forbidden Forest. I was frozen on the spot, dumbfounded.

"That was weird."

***

I raised my hand to knock upon the door leading into the Defence Against the Dark Arts class. Professor Lupin opened it, his face contorted into surprise at my sudden visit.

"Rubina, what are you doing here? Harry said you were sick and had to miss the Patronus lesson."

I grinned sheepishly as my gaze fell onto the floor. "Yeah, well, I may have lied."

Bewildered by my reply, Lupin asked, "But why?"

I sighed. "Well, there was something bothering me, and due to that I didn't want to attend the lesson."