Chapter 17: The Mysterious Gift

To say I was fine would be an understatement. I was constantly wondering if my Mum was connected to the Prisoner of Azkaban, Sirius Black. Could that be the reason for Lupin's strange actions?

The twins noticed my sudden change of behaviour, they questioned me but I wouldn't budge, forcing them to give up seeing I wasn't ready to talk.

Soon the term came to an end. I bid my friends goodbye and boarded the Hogwarts Express for home.

As the scarlet train pulled up into King's Cross station, I plastered on a fake smile, as not to make my Mum suspicious. I needed to await the right time to act.

My Mum mirrored my expression as I ran into her open arms, except hers was real. That moment when she engulfed me into a warm hug, I forgot any worry I had and my face broke into its first true smile after ages.

***

It was December Twenty-Five, Christmas day. Mum and I were unwrapping our presents underneath the glowing Christmas tree, the warm fire slowly crackling.

The house was decorated according to the Christmas spirit. Lights beamed from every wall of the house, with a hearth on the front door and the Christmas tree being the most majestic, with ornaments that shone brightly and colour-changing dazzling lights, while a steam engine train went around underneath in countless circles.

I opened up a small, red-coloured present from George, he'd sent me sweets along with dungbombs. Lee had gotten me brown, Chaser gloves and a book about stars, as I love to star-gaze. Mum had bought me sweets, seeing as I adore them, and a simple but beautiful grey dress, obviously to bring out my eyes. I was surprised to have received a red sweater with a big yellow R on it. It was a Weasley jumper that the twins had mentioned, and my heart warmed tremendously, given the fact I haven't even met Mrs.Weasley and she was being very affectionate already.

I grinned from ear to ear at the wondrous gifts I'd gotten.

Finally, I opened the last one. Fred sent me a matching pair of gold painted earrings and necklace, with red coloured jewels embroidering them. My face instantly brightened by a million, as I placed a hand on my chest. The gift was small but so beautiful and very heart touching.

It's perfect.

I imagined the smile that would have made its way onto his face seeing my reaction to the present, and how my heart seemed to melt upon his smile.

Although I was alone, as Mum had gone into the kitchen for breakfast, I hid my face as I blushed.

Stop doing that, he's just a friend!

Once, I recovered from the happiness of my gifts, I made to stand up but froze mid-way, as my eyes landed on a messily wrapped package in brown paper, hidden a bit off to the side. Curiously, I reached out, grasping the mysterious present with two hands, seeing as it was long and thin.

Little by little I opened the gift, only to gasp in astonishment, and clap a hand over my mouth.

In front of me lay a magnificent broom.

The Firebolt.

But who? Who would buy me such an expensive broom? I hastily scoured through the wrapping paper and around for any sign of a note, but I turned up empty-handed.

Should I tell Mum? No. She may freak out thinking someone like Sirius Black sent it. I'll hide it for now and think of what to do with it afterwards. I quietly ran upstairs to stash away my new broom for the time being.

Hey!

Not much of an exciting chapter, but hopefully it was still a nice read. A bit excited for the upcoming story!

Here's a question:

What's your favorite Christmas present you have received?

Honestly, I'm not even sure, maybe something I got as a kid. Although, I would really love the Firebolt or even just a huge pile of sweets in the Wizarding World! :)

Have a good day! :)

Mini-Padfoot