"What Brushel Noticed"

'When I arrived at the studio, Mr. Misham was at his desk, He seemed to be writing a letter... but he quickly sealed the envelope, I thought nothing of it at the time, of course, Now that I think about it, what if he was writing a suicide note!?'

the judge stroked his beard as he went deep into thought

'Hmm... A suicide note?'

'Yes... he had this look on his face. "Man's Face Inscrutable As A Quadratic Equation", end quote'

Trucy ears perked up at that

'Suicide? Poor Mr. Misham... But that means Vera's innocent!'

'Would someone commit suicide in the middle of an interview?'

trucy frowned at apollo's point

'Oh'

'Very well, you may begin your cross-examination'

apollo spent a god 10 minutes underlining the testimony, examining each point carefully and comparing it with the previous statements

'As it just so happens, there was a single letter in a desk drawer at the scene. In a red envelope!'

Brushel took his pink tie and wrapped it tightly around his face, pulling it with a strong grip as he cried out in alarm, apollo almost cringed at how painful that must've been, he ingorned his shock and turned his attention to klavier

'...Prosecutor Gavin!'

Klavier raised a brow, amused

'...Yes?'

'Was a yellow envelope found at the scene of the crime?'

Klavier stuied him for a moment

'...Unfortunately no. But, Herr Forehead... ...it's easy to mistake the color of an envelope'

Apollo shrugged

'I guess. But not this envelope. You see, it was postmarked already. Seven years ago'

the judge looked over at brushel

'Well, Mr. Brushel?'

'...I can explain that. Drew, right, he wanted to get that letter in an envelope, pronto! Get it out of sight of my beady eyes, right? So he grabbed the nearest envelope and crammed away!'

brushel said with a cheery wide smile, apollo looked at him as if this man had told him that the earth was flat

"And what about the whole red and yellow envelope contradiction, chump!?"

the judge looked over the defense 

'Well, Mr. Justice? Have you anything to say to the witness's claim?'

"That night, the victim put a letter he had been writing in a red envelope" that's  impossible'

apollo stated

'Ah, I like your expression. So full of confidence'

Apollo was tempted to flip him the bird, but he decided to come at him differently 

'It's simple, really, ...As it just so happens, the defense team investigated the contents of this envelope! With, erm, the assistance of a forensic scientist'

Klavier raised a brow

'What...?'

'Note that this letter is addressed to "Drew Misham"'

Brushel blinked

'Oh?'

'Why would he address a letter to himself? Let alone send a suicide note to himself!'

Brushel nervously pulled at his tie

'...... I... I've been scooped!'

the court started to mutter amongst themselves, the judge slammed down his gavel

'Order! Order! Order!!! Mr. Brushel! Can you explain this to the court?'

Brushel gripped his pink tie harder, nearly choking himself

'Oh, my, my, my. How could I have forgotten? I suppose this happens to the best of us! "Reporter Gets Old, Forgets Lots", end quote'

'I'm still waiting for an explanation, Mr. Brushel!'

the judge said in a warning tone

'Well, that's the thing, see. After he put his letter in that envelope... ...Mr. Misham sat there searching his desk drawer for something!'

Apollo wrote that down quickly

'His desk drawer...?'

'Yes! A stamp! A so-called "Postage Stamp", end quote!'

'A stamp? Whatever for?'

the judge asked

'Well, to mail his letter, what else? And then, why yes, I think I saw him put it in his letter box. Yes, it was a yellow envelope, and he put it in that box!'

'Well, apparently, this yellow letter has nothing to do with this case'

'Oh, how I wish it did! Just think if that were a suicide note... What a story! "Star Writes Suicide Note In Front Of Reporter, Falls", end quote'

he said aloud as he wrote in his notepad, the judge turned his head to the defense

'Ahem. As I was saying, that has nothing to do with this case! That said'

'Yes, Your Honor?'

apollo asked'

'It makes me wonder about the contents of that red envelope. $100,000 is quite a good deal of money!'

'So this was from seven years ago, ja...?'

klavier asked, apollo noticed how he seemed to be deeply thinking to himself, the moment was cut off when brushel spoke up

'...! So, am I finished? Here, I mean. Am I finished here? I was thinking of, you know, going home, to start writing...'

apollo blinked at him

'...Um, I hate to state what should be pretty obvious to anyone... ...but when you catch the scent of a story... ...you make that... er, rather unique face'

'Ack! C-C'mon! "Attorney Has Active Imagination, Little Else", end quote'

apollo flipped him the bird this time, maybe his boss was being a bad influence on him, ..or maybe a good one, he was still deciding, the judge banged his gavel down to get the courts attention

'Even I noticed something, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. You know, I'm starting to understand what all this "perceiving" stuff is about!'

"Judge Has Active Imagination"... end quote"

apollo thought to himself

'Please, continue with your testimony. Tell us about the scent of a story!'

'Hey... I'm the one asking the questions here. Usually'

apollo mentally groaned in annoyance as he flipped a new page