Severus Snape- Before I Go

Severus picked up the black, silky robe from his dresser, the feeling of the material grounding him for a moment.

He looked over to his large bed. The covers crumpled, pillows strewn, the duvet rolled into the center, underneath, curled in a ball was the love of his life. His soulmate.

He observes your breathing pattern, soft and even.

The gravity of the moment finally dawning on him. His heart suddenly weights a thousand pounds, his stomach churning like the Black Sea.

He walks to the sleeping body, leans over the bed, hovering directly over you.

You rouse from your sleep, like you sensed the sudden closeness of your love. You turn onto your back, still gripped with sleep.

Severus can now see your body more clearly. The blanket rested just above the swell of your bare breasts, your nipples erect, your legs rested against each other your knees turned towards Severus. Your hands were splayed above your head. Your hair was fluffy from the tossing and turning and was spread out above your head.

Severus examined your face like it was the last time. It probably was the last time. He penciled each detail of your face into his mind. The way your lips curves going up towards your nose, the slight dip in the ridge of your nose. The faint creases under your cheeks, laughter creases as he called it. Your thick eyelashes, the way the uneven edges  rested on your cheeks.

He sighed softly.

Severus stood up straight, his hand going to his pocket to check of his wand was still there. It was. No more delays.

Out of the other pocket he pulls out piece of parchment, words scribbled in his neat handwriting. He opens it and quickly skims over what he wrote.

Satisfied, he places it onto his pillow, open.

Severus walks to your side of the bed, leans over and places a kiss on your forehead. His warms lips staying for a moment longer than intended.

Severus takes one final look at your sleeping figure and places his hand on the door knob.

He can't do it. He can't make himself close that door, knowing he might never see you again. For the first time since he made this decision, his eyes sting, tears freely rolling down his pale face. He has to do it. He needs to do it. For everyone. For that promise he made years ago. For the deceased headmaster. For you.

He closes his eyes and quietly pulls the door shut. When he opens his eyes, tears blur his vision.
————————————————

My darling,

When you awake you will be confused. Take a breath. It's going to be ok.

Today is the day we have all been dreading. As much as I want to shelter you from the horrors that will occur today, I won't be there to do it.

I want you to do something for me. Live. Go out and enjoy the world. Don't let my departure burden you.

I have made a decision, doing it for you.

It's cruel for me to drag you into such pain, I realize that now.

Know that I love you, I will think of you to my last breath.

It's been an honor for a person like me to ever have a chance to love you.

I love you and will forever.

Always.