17 - The abandoned tiger

Have this backstory I pulled out of my ass because the first backstory I made was not loyal to the canon material

I wanted to make sure that I stick to it because this boy is my favourite character he just gives me so much comfort.

~·~·~·~

You've met Kazutora a lot earlier than the rest of your friends, a lot earlier than Baji. But that fact has long been gone from your memory, only resurfacing now, in the few moments before death.

Even if this did occur to you now, you knew that Kazutora will never remember it. He has long forgotten the painful memories of his childhood.

Summer. It was in the middle of summer when you first met him, you were around seven, just a year after meeting the Sano family and Baji.

"....Are you.... Alright?" You asked the small boy sitting on the ground, silently crying to himself. You didn't know if he ignored you or your voice was too soft to be heard, so you approached him, sitting beside him, but still keeping your distance. "...Are you okay?"

"..." The boy sniffed, wiping his face before carefully looking your way. ".....yeah..."

He was lying, that much was obvious. He was just crying when you found him, and tears were still streaming from his eyes. You can see that he's pretty upset by something, or maybe...

"Does it hurt?" You asked, your eyes going over to the obvious bruises on his body and his face. "You have a lot of injuries."

He flinched, nervously turning away from you and gripping his arms quite tightly. You might be young, but you weren't dumb. It was painfully obvious that this boy was being abused.

"....What's your name? I'm (Y/N)..." You introduced yourself, still keeping your eyes on him. You've learned how to properly communicate over the past year, so hopefully, you can talk to this boy and help him.

".....-tora..." He whispered, his voice barely audible. He seems to be very soft spoken, or rather, he could barely say anything. You couldn't even hear the first part of his name.

"....Hmh... nice to meet you." You reached for your pocket, taking out the snack you bought for yourself to eat later on, but this boy seems like he could eat something. You placed it on the ground, sliding it over to him. "Here you go."

There was silence once more as you opened the book in your hands, reading quietly. But you also kept on peeking over him once in a while. It made you smile a little when the boy took the snack you placed down, eating it quietly and curiously peeking over to you.

"....Do you want to read with me?" You lowered your book, turning to look at the boy. He was hesitating at first, but soon crawled over to you, sitting next to you, looking over your shoulder.

And so, you spend the rest of the afternoon reading with the injured boy whose name you still don't know. And when the time for the library to close came, it was time for you two to part ways.

"...Do you want to read again tomorrow?" Without knowing it, you asked the boy, holding onto his sleeve before he left. He blinked a few times, looking to be confused. "We didn't finish the book.... I-If you want to finish it... we can... r-read tomorrow..."

"...Tomorrow..?" The boy's eyes were wide, but not in any negative sense, but rather, he was quite shocked that someone would want to keep him company. "O-okay... same time tomorrow?"

"...Yes..!" You smiled brightly, feeling a familiar feeling bubbling up inside you. "I'll see you tomorrow... Tora!"

"It's actually Kazutora- and she's gone..." Kazutora sighed with a smile, watching as you ran off. He felt fluffy and warm inside... it's a change to how he feels back home. 'A friend.... Huh.... my first friend..'