【34】

Taeyang and I soon found out that if we lean back a certain way, we could rest our heads on the other's shoulder for a soft cushioning to get a bit of sleep.

Granted, the food and bathroom situation was still a struggle as we had neither.

"What I would give to have a big plate of bulgogi right about now," Taeyang sighs.

"Can you not?" I complain.

"Or japchae."

"Taeyang?"

"Mm?"

"Shut up."

He laughs, leaning back to rest his head on my shoulder. After a few seconds of silence, I sigh.

"My dad made the best gimbap. He used to make it before my tests as good luck."

"Oh, look who's a hypocrite," he scoffs.

"You started it," I blame.

"My dad used to make me and my brother help him make kimchi.. I used to hate it. Complain about the smell and the spices the whole time- I said it was too much work. Now, I'm happy he made us do it. We spent so much time together doing it. I miss the food, but I miss the time spent even more."

I smile a bit at his story, his voice sounded so nostalgic while talking about it.

"My mom was a camera fan. She thought she had to take pictures of everything going on. She took thousands of pictures of me. I just wish I had a single one of her," he adds.

I rest my head against his, trying to give any sense of comfort to him despite our predicament. He sighs a bit, his eyes fluttering closed in the silence. Time was a myth in our situation. So, again, I wasn't sure how long we rested in that position.

The only thing that tore the moment was the door sliding open.

"Oh my god!" Andrea gasps, rushing inside and closing the door behind her.

"Andrea?" I ask, raising up to look at her.

"I heard Phillip talking about you. I- I didn't believe it. I had to find out if it was true or not. I've been looking everywhere for you," she explains, taking her knife out.

She moves to my side, cutting the ropes around my legs.

"If he finds out you're here.." I trail off.

"He won't be able to do anything," she says, moving to free my hands, "Because we're getting the hell out of here."

"You're going?" I ask, hope filling my voice.

"We are," she rephrases.

Once all the ropes are off, she helps me stand, my legs wobbling under me from the hours spent in the chair. She steadies me on my feet before moving to cut Taeyang free as well. 

"Here," she hurries, handing me an extra knife, "I snuck it out, they'll notice it's gone. They've been keeping track of all weapons."

She goes to the door, checking that it's clear before waving us over. Together, the three of us exit the room, keeping close knit and on guard.

We stop at a door, bending down to keep out of sight, Andrea resting her hand on the doorknob.

"I.. I can't go," Taeyang shakes his head.

"What?" I ask, stepping closer to him.

"My grandmother. She.. I can't leave her," he reminds.

"Then, we'll take her, too," I decide.