【97】

Taeyang's words of keeping distance from Maggie struck a nerve so deep that I did just that and more.

Instead of just keeping from her, I indulged in my work and avoided.. everyone. Everyone minus Kal who I had guard shifts with, that is.

For that following night, I even slept in Bertie's trailer where she lent me her couch and made dinner. She didn't push me to talk about anything, she was just there with a warm smile and talks of work.

The next morning, it was work as usual and I caught whin from Bertie that Gregory was trying to kick Maggie and Tara out. Maybe more.

She said that it seemed he was fine with Taeyang, Jae, Daniel, Ben, Jessie, Heath, and I staying since we never went to that Savior outpost or at the 'lineup' everyone had mentioned. The Saviors, Negan himself, didn't know us.

'And I think he's too scared to lose y'all. You keep those walls up and our power on. Jessie does his laundry. Ben is a doc in training. The others help keep this place safe and are willing to go on runs. He doesn't wanna lose the workload you do for him,' was what she theorized.

Which was what finally brought Jae and I to speak for the first time since the doctor's office.

"I think if we double our work.. Maybe he'll be willing. Jesus said he would talk to him more," Jae figures, "All of us but Maggie. She still needs to take it slow for awhile since her injury."

"We can," I agree, "I can talk to Gregory about adding more."

"Carson said Daniel should be waking up soon. If not, he wants to go ahead and do a follow up scan to see if something went wrong. But, uh.. I don't think you should come."

"God, not you, too," I huff, "Why not?"

"Taeyang said you're-"

"Said I'm what? Delusional? Crazy?"

"Not coping correctly," he finishes.

"Cope.." I repeat, "What am I supposed to cope with? You tell me because he won't."

Jae's eyes turn darker, frustration sinking in, "He said you weren't being yourself, but damn."

I cross my arms, a habit I've grown to notice I've been doing a lot. Was I becoming that defensive?

"Hana, he's gone. Glenn is gone and you need to know that," Jae states seriously.

"Everyone did this before!" I helplessly complain, "Even painted his name on that stupid wall because they thought he was dead."

"He is dead, Hana. For fucks sake, I helped bury his body!"

"A body I never saw," I mutter, looking away from him.

Jae stomps toward me, jerking me into his hold and leaning down to meet my eyes.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Let go," I demand, trying to pull free from him.

"Daryl went after Dwight and me, Glenn, Rosita, and Michonne went after him. Maggie got sick and Rick, Carl, Tyreese, Eugene, Aaron, and Tara put her in the RV to get her here. We found Daryl but he left to keep going after Dwight. Rosita and I went with him."

I pause my fighting, my hands balled up in fists between us, my hair a mess from the struggle.

"Daryl tracked what he could and then we found the Saviors in the woods. They had Michonne and Glenn tied up and gagged. We went to stop them, and Dwight caught us off guard from behind. He shot Daryl."

Dwight, the asshole on the radio, shot Daryl? No one ever mentioned that to me.

"Is he okay?" I force out.