Chapter 12: The Lost Princess of Hyrule, Part 2

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF VIOLENCE AND SENSITIVE TOPICS REGARDING SU//C//DE

"Who are you and who gave this to you?!" Rhiannon inquired, "Answer me! I'm the Princess of Hyrule, I demand answers! Why are you in possession of a letter written by my parents addressed to me?!"

"Rhiannon, let me explain," the old man said. "I'm not going to repeat myself!" she sobbed, "Tell me who you are! How did you get this letter?! How long was I asleep for?!"

The old man took a deep sigh. "Meet me atop of the Temple of Time's belltower," he said, "I will answer all your questions."

Before her very eyes, he disappeared. Rhiannon gasped widely as she saw him vanish. Taking the letter in her hands, she ran into the pouring rain and headed towards the Temple of Time. When she approached the temple, the rain stopped pouring out of nowhere, almost magically. She climbed towards the top of the Temple of Time's shattered rooftop, carefully making it towards the belltower where the man was waiting. "I'm here," she said, "tell me everything. Who are you? How long was I asleep for? Where are my parents and who gave you this letter?"

The old man removed his cloak. He was then surrounded by a green light. "I never told you who I was," he said, "but the truth is, we are both family."

Rhiannon gasped when she saw the specter of King Rhoam appear before her. "G-Grandfather?!" she exclaimed. "Hello, granddaughter," King Rhoam nodded, "it is finally a pleasure to meet you."

"B-But! How?!" Rhiannon gasped, "You've been dead for over a hundred years!"

"You were asking how I got possession of that letter," King Rhoam said, "well, your parents handed it to me after they left you at the Shrine of Resurrection."

"The Shrine of what?!" Rhiannon gasped, "Of... R-Resurrection?! Does that mean--?"

"Rhiannon," Rhoam said sternly, "you fell during your last battle. You've been asleep for 25 years..."

Rhiannon then collapsed to her knees. "25?!" she sobbed. "It is not as much time as your father spent there," Rhoam sighed, "but it is still a long time. Luckily, you woke up before more years could pass."

"W-Where are my parents?!" Rhiannon sobbed, "Please, grandfather! Where are they?!"

"They are both trapped inside Hyrule Castle," Rhoam replied, "they are battling Calamity Ganon alone. When the Calamity struck and your parents dropped you at the Shrine of Resurrection, my daughter, Princess Zelda, wrote that letter for you. Your father, Champion Link, contributed to it. They both sought out for me, instructing me to deliver it once you woke up."

"This can't be happening...." Rhiannon sobbed, "This all has to be a bad dream! Please, grandfather! Tell me it's a dream!"

"It is not, Rhiannon," Rhoam replied, "it is reality."

Rhiannon clapped her hand to her mouth in disbelief, she tried to contain her tears. "T-This..." she stuttered, "...This can't be it..."

"You must unite Hyrule again," Rhoam said, "the more hostility there is with its citizens, the more power Calamity Ganon gains. The fate of the kingdom lies in your hands, Rhiannon."

"What do I do, grandfather?" she asked. "Your parents left instructions in that letter," Rhoam replied, "my job here has already been done, which was to deliver their message. From now on, you will be on your own. Goodbye, Rhiannon. May Goddess Hylia guide you on your journey."

"Grandfather! Wait!" Rhiannon shouted as King Rhoam's figure disappeared. Her eyes landed on Hyrule Castle in the distance, engulfed by Calamity Ganon's monstrous figure. Rhiannon climbed down the belltower and headed back towards the shed; the storm then resumed. Once she had entered the shed, she sat down at the table and opened the letter, tearing the envelope to reveal a large piece of yellow parchment. It read as such: