Chapter 35: The Spring of Power, Part 1

"Auntie!" Dori slid open the door to the temple, "Mind if my friends stay over? Yes? Thanks!"

"Dori!" Lady Paya scolded, "Do you know what time it is?! It's nearly midnight!"

"My friends and I just returned from the Spring of Wisdom," Dori answered. "Excuse me, Lady Paya," Rhiannon said, "we did not mean to just barge in."

"I hope it's not an inconvenience," Paya gasped when Link walked in, "Hey, it's been a while."

"L-Link!" she stuttered, "I, um... h-hello... Dori f-forgot to add you were here."

"I did?" Dori crossed her arms, "I could swear I mentioned it."

"How's it goin'?" Link smiled, "I haven't seen you in years!"

"I..." Paya cleared her throat nervously, "I h-have been fine. D-Dori, have you talked to your mother recently?"

"Yeah?" Dori nodded, "I mean, she's my mom..."

"I feel uncomfortable..." Aya whispered towards Tulin. "You noticed it too, huh?" he whispered back, "There's a weird vibe going around."

"I, um," Paya stammered, "w-would you like t-to stay over? For dinner, that is!"

"I'd love to," Link nodded, "I promise we will leave in the morning."

"That includes me," Dori said, "It's time for some pumpkin stew!"

"May I help?" Zya asked, "I love cooking!"

She followed Dori towards the kitchen. "P-Please, make yourselves at home," Paya said nervously, "I will be in the kitchen as well."

She quickly rushed towards the kitchen with Dori and Zya. "How could Dori forget to mention such crucial detail?!" she thought, "I was over those feelings a long time ago! Besides, he's a married man... I know better than to be a homewrecker... But, at the same time, he's just as handsome as I remember him..."

50 years ago

"Hey! Good mornin'!" Link approached the temple, unmounting his horse. "M-Master Link!" a young Paya gasped, "A-Are you h-here to see my grandmother?"

"Yes," Link nodded, "I just returned from Divine Beast Vah Naboris. I'm here to report to her that all the Divine Beasts have been freed!"

"Oh! That's wonderful!" Paya smiled. She observed as he walked into the temple. "Okay, Paya..." she thought, "as soon as he walks out of the temple, ask him out on a date. The worst he can say is no."

She waited outside patiently until Link walked out, rushing down the stairs. "Master Link!" she called, "M-May I a-ask you something?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry," Link said. "W-Would you–?" before she could ask her question, Link took off on his horse.

Present Day

"Aunt Paya!" Dori snapped her fingers, "I've been asking you for two minutes! Can I please have some rock salt?"

"Oh, excuse me," Paya shook her head, "I spaced out."

"Yeah..." Dori said as she took the rock salt in her hands, "...I noticed..."

"Weird..." she thought, "she's been acting this way since Master Link walked in... I hope I accidentally didn't spark an old flame."

"So, champ," Link said, "tell me all about your journey so far."

"Well," Rhiannon chuckled, "I woke up from the Shrine of Resurrection, I met my grandfather's ghost, he gave me the letter you two left for me..."

"Ah, yes, the letter," Link said, "I forgot about it. We wrote it a day after we left you at the shrine..."