Chapter 48: The Reawakening, Part 1

WARNING: This chapter may contain possible Tears of the Kingdom spoilers.

The RhiGang walked across the Gerudo Highlands. It was late at night, the air was cold, and everyone was exhausted from the battle. Rhiannon kept looking at the night skies in search of Link but had no luck. "Rhia," Dori said, "I'm so sorry about your father..."

"It's alright," Rhiannon sighed, "I guess... I just don't know what got into his head... Why would he do something like that?"

"He knew he had to do it," Zelda sighed, "he knew the risks, but he also knew what would happen if he let that stone fall in the Demon King's hands."

Rhiannon took a deep sigh, separating from the group. She walked over to a point at which she could see the Hyrule skyline. "I will not let my father's sacrifice be in vain," she said, "with him gone, it is up to me to stop the Demon King. Protecting Hyrule is my responsibility."

Zelda and the others joined her as they all watched the sun rising on the horizon. "We should go home," Aya said, "we need rest."

"Could you please stop moving?!" Ratna growled. "I would not be moving this much if you did your job correctly," Ganondorf snapped. The witch took a deep sigh, using a wet cloth to wipe the blood off Ganondorf's chest. He would grunt in pain as she passed the cloth over his wounds. "For someone your size, you're so whiny," Ratna scolded. "I must have underestimated Rhiannon," Ganondorf said, "I did not think she could have such strength. She was able to fight me without weapons."

Ratna looked down at Ganondorf's torso to see a few bruises that would blend with his dark green skin. "There is something about Rhiannon," he said, "I had never seen such fury, not even in Rauru..."

"Rhiannon has this murderous rage when she gets angry," Ratna said, "she just gets taken over by this fury, it's like her only thought in that moment is to kill."

She then smirked widely. "We could use that against her," she chuckled, "make her own anger backfire... It seems like I have found one of her weaknesses..."

"I want to get rid of that sword," Ganondorf said, staring off pensively, "I could not get it before... I must do it while I can."

"The Master Sword or whatever," Ratna said, "I think old man Link swallowed it when he turned into a dragon or something."

"I don't know," Ganondorf sighed, "but even if I must retake the form of Calamity Ganon, I will destroy that sword... Without that sacred blade, Hyrule will be defenseless."

"I can't wait for Rhiannon to take her last breath," Ratna smirked, passing the blood-soaked cloth across Ganondorf's chest one last time, "I need her gone."

"You were born on the same day as the princess, weren't you?" Ganondorf asked. "I was born the day Rhiannon turned 18," Ratna explained, "I did not have a single birthday without hearing people, even my own parents, wish her a happy birthday, but no one ever wished me a happy birthday..."

Voices started resonating inside her head.

Happy 19th birthday, Princess Rhiannon! We miss you!

Today would have been Princess Rhiannon's 21st birthday.

27 years ago today, Princess Rhiannon of Hyrule was born. She unfortunately lost her life at the age of 18, trying to save Hyrule from Calamity Ganon.

On this day, 40 years ago, our dear Princess Rhiannon, daughter of Champion Link and Princess Zelda, was born. Once the symbol of hope for Hyrule after years of destruction, Princess Rhiannon perished in the fight against Calamity Ganon's reawakening, just like her father once did.