Chapter 38

JENNIE

I thought I was doing the right thing all by myself. I thought I can do well without Lisa. I know I wasn't happy for ghosting her because of the consecutive strifes that our family had to deal with. I thought with time, I'll be okay.

But I was wrong.

My heart still longs for her every time. I was so selfish for not considering her in my plans, for ditching her abruptly, for hurting her intentionally. The thing is, I don't have the guts to tell her the things that are happening in our family, I don't want to get pitied by her. I hate the idea of dragging her in our predicaments.

Yet in the end, I chose the wrong option again. But I'm glad that our path had crossed unexpectedly. It was fate that made me realized that I was taking the path towards my doom, and I'm glad that it isn't too late for me to iron things out.

"Jennie, you are supposed to be preparing for the engagement party, why are you here?" Dad asked, surprised by my unprecedented visit.

"I...I have to tell you something dad," I firmly said.

"What is it dear?"

"Oh Jennie, you're here!" Mom who just woke up came to me and hugged me.

"It's good that you're here too mom, I have something to tell you."

"I'm all ears honey."

I exhaled deeply before I spoke.

"You know that...I tried. I tried to love Taehyung—I really did. He is a nice guy.. and I know that he will be a good partner to me but...I can't. I just can't seem to fall for him because before he came, there was already this person who stole my heart. There was this person who changed me and made me believe that true love exists...what I'm really trying to say is that, I want to...cancel this engagement."

I looked at them with sincerity in my eyes while they just stared at me, stunned with what I've said. 

"Is it because of...Lisa?" Dad broke the silence.

"H-how did—"

"So it's her..."

"I'm sorry dad... I'm sorry mom. I'm sorry if I'm like this—"

Mom rushed unto my side and hugged me.

"Don't be sorry dear. It's fine. Don't apologize for the things that makes you who you are."

I didn't realize that I was already sobbing. I was scared that my parents might not accept who I am. I was afraid that I might be a disappointment to them. But they proved me wrong. Dad also hugged me while gently brushing my hair.

"Your mom's right. If you want to cancel the engagement, then you have our support. All I want is for you to be happy. Whatever you are, whoever you love, it doesn't matter. As long as your heart is happy, and your laughs are genuine, then we are too. So hush now, okay?"

"T-thank you dad. Thanks mom!"

"At least I know that my daughter's got a taste. You got yourself a gorgeous partner. You surely get that from me," Dad teased which made me chuckle.

This is the sweetest feeling that I have ever felt in my entire existence—to be accepted by my own family for who I really am. I was so dumb for not being so open to them. I should have trusted them instead of hiding and letting myself suffer because of the fear that's tugging me down. Indeed, family is family. They will always be at your back, supporting you till the end.

LISA

"I'm sorry Taehyung," I bowed my head as I uttered those words.

Jennie told him that she wanted to call the engagement off. We are at a nearby café, Jennie is seated next to me while Taehyung is across us.

"Please...please don't be angry at me. You're a good guy. I know that you'll be the perfect husband-to-be but I am not the one fated to take the place as your 'wife'. I'm really sorry for calling it off suddenly—"

"I am not... I am not angry Jen, and stop saying sorry, you two," I was surprised when Taehyung smiled at us. There was no sign of pain on his face. All I can see is a genuine feeling of glee.

"Are you... really?" I asked not even realizing that what I said is as ambiguous as to why he is not surprised nor hurt at all.

"Yes. It's okay. Actually, I was just waiting for Jennie to call it off. I hate fixed marriage too, but I don't have guts to go against my parents that's why I played along. Jennie was nice and perfect too, so why not right?"

"You're not angry at me? Are you telling me that everything's okay between us?" Jennie responded while pointing at herself.

"How many times do I have to repeat myself? I'm serious. It's okay. I'm fine with you cancelling our engagement if you're dating my hot and sexy cousin here."

"Heyy stop it Taehyung!"

"Thanks Taehyung. I hope you find someone who will make you fall head over heels," Jennie said.

"I think I just did," Taehyung responded while grinning.

"Seriously?! When?" I replied.

"Last night. Anywayyy, I think we're done here so I should go ahead, I still have to call a lot of people because you cancelled the plans."

"Oh, sorry about that. Okay see you when I see you cous!"

"Take care Taehyung!"

We watched as Taehyung stood up and paid the bill at the counter. He even waved at us when he was nearing the door.

He is such a very nice guy. I was lucky enough that it was him who was involved in Jennie's fixed marriage.

I quickly turned my head toward Jennie's direction when my lips accidentally brushed against hers. I didn't know that she was staying so close to my face!

"Opps. You're too close, I didn't—"

"Oh shut up Manoban, you'll be punished for this."

"Punished? Me? It was an accident! And besides, aren't we? You know? Back...together? So apparently, it's just fine to kiss you without—"

"You will still receive a punishment," Jennie said coldly.

Is she acting? Or is she even serious?

"Okay, okay! What's the punishment?" I said, finally giving in.

"Kiss me."

-------
Last two chapters and this story will be coming to a close. Thank you so much for the reads!♥️