32

🥂
———

Haneul never thought she would have a dance with her father. It was something she had never imagined she'd do in her life. She used to watch Seori dance with her father at the ball, but she had never once questioned hers. But here he was, in front of her, taking careful steps as the two waltzed. It was odd, and she wouldn't want to do it ever again. But whilst it was happening, she'd have to appreciate it, seeing as he had asked her in the middle of the room for it, holding his hand out to her as he had never done before.

"I didn't think I would ever see you at one of these dances again." He started, stepping to the left as she does.

"I thought I should have a proper farewell." She said back, not exactly looking at him. However he had looked at her, and it was then that she realised he had never done that before.

"Well, I'm glad I got to do this once then." He said, Haneul furrowing her brows as she couldn't help but feel a mix of confusion and the hatred for him sprout out at once.

"You're a bad father." She said, her throat dry.

"I am." He admitted, loosening the way he held her hand. "Your mother had told me the same thing."

Haneul stopped at the mention of her, seeing as he hadn't spoken of her since she left. It had always been a something he would yell at her for. He pretended as if she never existed, as she hoped he would do the same to her.

"You look just like her." She saw a small smile emerge on his face as he said it.

"Why are you suddenly acting like I mean something to you?" She asked honestly, it wasn't filled with anger, but filled with the need to understand.

"Like you said, I agreed to the marriage just so I can get you to come back." He said. "Now that I'm bringing up someone else's daughter I realised that you grew up with no parents."

"It should stay that way." She swallowed as she felt herself slip away from him.

"It can, but there is one thing I need you to do for us?" He said, the soft way he spoke grabbing her attention.

"What is it?"

"Find your mother." He said. Haneul gulped, searching for any sign of bluff. "She's waiting for you Haneul."

"Where is she?" Her eyes widened as he gave her a smile, walking back into the crowd as he left Haneul in the middle of the room. She was trying her best to process what he had told her, but nothing was making much sense to her, especially how he was acting like her father for once. Shaking her head, she turned around, just to be met with the smell of caramel cologne and the bronze eyes she could spend hours staring at, almost making her forget her conversation with her father.

"May I have a dance, princess?" He bowed, holding out his hand as he gave her his cute smile.

"Why of course, kind sir." She laughed as she took his hand, pulling their bodies together as they began to glide across the floor, side stepping to the sound of the violins that filled their ears, not caring about the eyes that were on them as they simply lived in their own world. Haneul couldn't think of anything but him as she pulled him closer, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"You're a good dancer Sicheng." She whispered into his ear.

"You think so?" He hummed, sending a spark through her body. "I guess graduating from the top dance academy in China taught me a few things."