26

Mias POV:
Rafe came back an hour or so later, with some spare pizza from Wheezies sleepover.
'She told me to give this to you.' He said, passing me a plate.
'Thanks.' I smiled.
'So, do you want to come to the holiday house with me in a couple days?' He asked.
'Of course.' I replied, picking up a piece of the pizza.
'It'll be good to get away from everyone.' He added.
'By that you mean my friends.' I said, bluntly.
'No.' He insisted.
My phone buzzed and I reached it before Rafe could see who it was.

JJ🏄🏼‍♂️: meet me at John B's now, I've got something to show you.

'Rafe I need to go.' I said, getting up from the bed and throwing my hair into a bun.
'Well can't it wait? Wheez was excited to watch a movie with you.' He replied.
'I'll be back in half an hour, and she's got her friends here.' I said, picking up my shoes from the corner of the room.
'Where are you going?' He questioned.
'I'll see you soon.' I replied, rushing out of the door. I walked the long way making sure Rafe hadn't followed me. He couldn't anyway, he had to look after Wheezie and her friends.
'Finally.' JJ said, from the porch, making me jump.
'Where is everyone else?' I asked.
'I wanted to show you first, you cracked the code after all.' He said, holding out his phone. I heard a branch snap around the side of the house.
'Maybe we should go somewhere more public.' I whispered. He locked the doors to John's house and we made out way to the Wreck, sitting down in the corner of the restaurant. Kie wasn't at work, so we'd have to wait to tell her whatever news JJ had.
'So I found the hotel last night, and I was looking through the website, and saw that they've got a bunch of phone numbers linked to them.' He started.
'That's good, but how do we ask about John B and Sarah without bringing attention to them?' I asked.
'Well I doubt they'dve booked a room, they don't have enough money for that.' He said, stumped.
'Pass me the phone.' I said nervously. He nodded, trusting me, and handing it over. I rang the number to the front desk and waited for it to ring. JJ clutched my hand as I waited nervously.

Hello, are you calling to make a booking or speak about hotel cleanliness or make a complaint?

Neither actually, sorry to be a nuisance, but I have a wedding in the area in a couple of days, and the bookings were messed up completely, a few of my guests ended up at the wrong hotel, have you seen a boy and a girl around the age of 17/18 recently?

Yes they came through a while ago. Would you like me to pass on a message?

If you could that would be amazing! Please can you give them this number and ask them to call it back as soon as possible, I want to make sure they don't miss the meal, or the wedding!

Of course, sorry about that, congratulations I hope you have a wonderful time with

Thank you again!

I put the phone down and JJ just looked at me.
'He's gonna pass on the phone number and they'll call us back any minute.' I whispered, tapping my fingers on the table. He breathed out heavily and neither of us said anything for
a few minutes.
'JJ?' I asked.
'Yeah?'
'Sometimes, and I know this is really bad of me, but sometimes I wonder what it would've been like if it was us.' I replied.
'Us on the run?' He questioned.
'No, just us, not me and Rafe.' I said.
'We'd be care free, surfing, pissing about.' He replied, smiling softly.
'I know.' I whispered.
'But you're happy, and I'm happy for you.' He said, squeezing my hand.
'JJ, I'm pregnant.' I said, blurting it out.
'I- oh wow, I'm happy for you.' He said, forcing out a smile.
'JJ you don't need to lie.' I sighed.
'No I am.' He whispered.
'Maybe in another life it's us.' He smiled sadly.
'Stop.' I said, suddenly.
'What?'
'Because I feel bad and i do wonder if I made the wrong choice.' I whispered.
'No you didn't, it's okay, I'll always love you, you know that. I'll be here always.' He said calmly. As I was going to reply, the phone rung again. Almost relieved that it had ended the conversation, I saw it was a new number.

Hey? Whos this? The front desk gave me your number.

John B?!

Mia?

Oh my god I'm so happy to hear from you, I thought you were dead

No I'm okay, we're hiding at the moment, I guess you saw my clue ?

Yeah, you're not as sly as you thought. I miss you so much, we all do

We'll be back soon I promise, Sarah is okay too, we've met a girl called Cleo, she's helping us out.

I'm going away to Nassau with Rafe in a couple days, so be extra careful because if he sees you he will tell his father

I will, let me speak to JJ

I love you, stay safe, call soon

I love you so much, be careful

I passed the phone on to JJ and his face lit up as soon as he heard John's voice. I saw Barry in the window, watching me. I tapped JJ's arm letting him know I'd be back, and walked outside to see him.
'Mrs country club.' He nodded.
'You never hang about here.' I said, suspiciously.
'Between you and me I don't want to be here, Rafe told me to keep an eye on you.' He said, accidentally.
'Oh did he now?' I laughed.
'Blunt?' He asked, holding it out to me.
'No I can't.' I replied.
'Oh yeah I heard, you're up the duff.' He shrugged.
'Why, what exactly did Rafe say to you?' I asked.
'He told me to come and check you weren't up to no good, and told me it was because he accidentally got you pregnant and wanted to make sure you weren't being stupid.' He replied.
'I've got to go.' I said, turning away from him and heading back inside.
JJ was off the phone now, waiting for me to come back.
'Hey J, I've got to go, some things have been said and I need to go home and sort it, if I need to, can I stay with you tonight?' I asked.
'Of course, you don't ever need to ask, my dads out of town so definitely.' He smiled.
I walked home and slammed the door, making sure Rafe heard me.
'You're back.' He smiled.
I didn't reply, I took my shoes off and left them by the door, looking into the living room to see Wheezie enjoying herself with her friends.
'What's up?' Rafe asked, grabbing my wrist.
'I saw Barry at the Wreck' I said, bluntly.
'Oh.'
'Why was he there?' I asked.
'I dunno.' He shrugged.
'I told you to stop lying, he told me why you sent him.' I replied.
'Look okay, I'm just worried, especially now you're pregnant. I just don't want you to get hurt.' He begged.
'Now I'm accidentally pregnant you mean?' I asked.
'If that came from Barry's mouth I never said it that way.' He protested.
'Oh but you know where it would've come from.' I said, rolling my eyes.
'Can we stop this please? I'm trying so hard but you're making it difficult for me.' He sighed.
'Me? You're making your friends spy on me, can't you trust me?' I laughed.
'I can , I just don't trust your friends.' He replied.
'Whatever.' I said, heading upstairs.
He pulled me back by my hips and smashed his lips onto mine.
'I love you.' He whispered.
'I love you too Rafe but you're making it hard for me.' I began.
'I just can't lose you, you're too important to me.' He said softly.
'You're gonna lose me this way too.'