32

Mias POV:
I sat on the sofa waiting for the dreaded news that Rafe was leaving. He'd told me he'd be quick and that it would be safe, but he'd carried multiple guns out to the car.
'Baby I'm going.' He said, leaning down infront of me, to kiss me.
'Rafe Cameron I need you to listen to me.' I said sternly.
'Listening.' He said, bending his knees fully to kneel infront of me.
'I need you to come back unmarked, safe, and not in the back of a police car I'm begging you.' I said, completely serious.
'Look my love, if I have to do something-' he began.
'You're not hurting anyone, you're not doing anything. You're gonna get that gold safely to where it needs to go okay?' I asked him.
He nodded.
'Rafe telling John B it was moving was a bad idea.' I sighed, as he stood up.
'It keeps them away from you, they'll follow me, they won't come here.' He explained.
'Let me come with you.' I said at once, in a random burst of courage.
'Of course I won't let you fucking come with me.' He said sternly.
'Because you know it's dangerous, so don't do it!' I shouted.
'Mia, I have to, okay, for us.' He said, stepping towards me and clutching at both of my arms.
'I don't want this, so it's not for us, it's for you.' I replied.
'I'll be back in an hour. Start a timer and each minute I'm late back late you get to shoot me.' He winked.
'It's not even funny Rafe.' I sighed.
'I love you, and I love you.' He said, kissing my belly and unlocking the door.
'Listen.' I said, putting the box of our baby's heartbeat to his ear. He played it three or four times before putting it back in my hand. Smiling softly at me.
'Be careful.' I sighed.
'I will.' He replied, closing the door behind him. I heard the engine of the car start and get quieter as he pulled away from the house. It was silent again, and I felt alone. So I picked up my phone to call JJ.

'What do you want?' He asked, jokingly.
'JJ where are you? Are you alone?' I asked.
'Yes why what's up?' He panicked.
'Okay so John B secretly came to the house earlier and tried to steal the gold, the baby is
Okay thankfully.' I said.
'Oh good Im glad.' He said, genuinely happy for me.
'But now Rafe has gone to move it so that they can't get it, and I know John B's dad found it and stuff but I'm so torn because I don't know what to do.' I panicked.
'Hey, you're okay, breathe.' He said calmly.
'If Rafe dies tonight, I'll not be able to forgive myself. He told me that I'd have to eventually make a sacrifice, him or you guys, but I never want to do that.' I sighed.
'Well I mean it does sound like now is the time he was talking about.' He said forgivingly.
'JJ I don't want to lose any of you.' I whispered.
'I know but if you help Rafe, John won't ever forgive you.' He explained.
'But you will, right?' I asked.
'I will.' He whispered.
'I'm so sorry for everything I've ever put you through.' I apologised.
'You've never put me through anything, trust me, it's okay, we all understand. John could've gone about it in better ways than this.' He chuckled.
'I know but-' I began.
'Hey, princess, it's okay.' He said, almost regretting what he'd said as soon as he'd said it.
'I uh, I've got to go.' I stuttered, pushing away a small feeling of butterflies.
'Call me if you need anything else okay?' He asked sternly.
'Okay.' I whispered.
'Goodnight.'
'Goodnight JJ.' I replied, ending the call.
I put my phone down, sighing and feeling guilty once more. It had been 30 minutes and I'd still not heard anything from anyone. I opened the front door, security turning and rushing towards me.
'I just want to check if you've heard anything?' I asked them.
'He's managed to get to the airport. We've heard nothing since then.' One of the men nodded.
'When was that?' I asked.
'10 minutes ago.' Another man said.
'And was he followed at all?' I questioned.
'There was a slight interference but as I'm aware it's okay now.'
I nodded.
'Get inside, he'd kill me if he knew I'd let you be exposed out here.' He said, as I closed the door again.
'Where are you Rafe?' I whispered to myself.

I turned on the news to try and find some indication that my boyfriend was alive, but there was nothing. I sighed, laying back on the sofa and closing my eyes, listening carefully for the sound of a car or a gunshot or a scream. 20 more minutes went by before I heard the sound of a vehicle pull up. I rushed to the door and security opened it, revealing Ward. I stood dead in my tracks, my boyfriend was still missing.
'Where is Rafe?' I panicked.
'He's close behind, we couldn't come in the same car. Are you okay? He told me about the baby. Congratulations!' He said all at once.
'What's happened?' I asked suspiciously.
'Nothing.' Ward laughed, taken aback.
'He can't be hurt, I need him to be okay.' I whispered, sitting on the sofa and putting my head in my hands.
'Hey baby it's okay I'm here.' I heard Rafe say, rushing through the door as it was slammed shut behind him.
My hands began to shake as he sat down infront of me and grabbed me as tight as he could.
'Thank you for protecting the gold Mia.' Ward chimed in.
'Dad, give us a few minutes.' Rafe said sternly. Ward headed upstairs, as Rafe pulled me closer to him, touching his forehead with mine.
'I'm so sorry.' He whispered.
'No, it's okay, you're okay right?' I asked, grabbing his face and looking at him all over. He had a few cuts on him but other than that, he seemed fine. My eyes clung to his shirt, which was covered in blood.
'Rafe, who's is that?' I whispered. He didn't have time to reply, before I moved it aside, seeing the bullet wounds in his side.
'Rafe.' I said, choking on my words.
'I'm okay, I've been to the hospital, they were tiny, they grazed the skin, trust me.' He said, Calming me down.
'Who shot you?' I asked.
'It doesn't matter okay.'
'Who shot you!' I asked again.
'John B.' He whispered.
'But they didn't get the gold did they?' I asked.
'No it's safe.'
'So they'll be back at the hotel.' I said, standing up.
'Mia, hey babygirl wait.' Rafe said, grabbing me and stopping me from moving.
'I gave him the same warning I gave to you, I told him not to shoot, he knows how much you mean to me and he didn't listen. Because he's so selfish and greedy.' I said, getting angrier by the second.
'Let's go to bed and we can talk about this tomorrow.' Rafe said, trying to reason with me.
'You need to go back to the hospital, no way they let you out like that, you look like you've been used as a dart board. I'm going to see John.' I said, opening the front door.
'If you step from this house I'll never speak to you again.' Rafe warned.
'We both know that's not true.' I replied, taking the keys from the side and quickly unlocking his car. He tried to follow but was too late, and I drove off in the direction I knew the hotel was in.