30 - They Got Us Pretty Good Huh

ROARA

I pulled the trigger.

The bullet hit Gunn and fell to the ground. I shot again, then a third time, then a fourth.

"See what I meant to say, silly me I must not have been clear enough, is that you literally can't kill me." Gunn walked closer and prized the gun from my grip. "So there really is no need for violence."

"You're b...bullet proof?" I stammered.

"Amongst other things." He placed the gun on the countertop.

I tried to light my hand on fire, to seek out his mind to control, to do anything, but I was shaking too badly. My brain felt like it was collapsing in on itself.

"I'm sure it's a lot to take in." He gave me a sympathetic look. I fell to the ground, my entire body trembling. He crouched down in front of me. "However, I think the tea is working pretty well. Or should I say sugar. You know it's really not very healthy to have such a sweet tooth. Ah well. Of course your body will get rid of it very soon, that's just part of the gig of being immortal," he shrugged, "but I have just enough time to explain to you what's going to happen." 

"I will never work for you." I vowed, my head bowed.

"Ah Roara, so bright and observant of the things others are blind to yet you can't see the obvious. You can't see the bigger picture." He spoke as though he was talking to a child, still all charm and calm charisma. 

"What do you want me to do? Because I won't do it." I could feel the world slipping slowly away from me.

"We don't want you to do anything. It's really more what we want to do to you. You see, now we know for sure that pain really does trigger more abilities in you, we just want to push it a little further, that's all." 

I looked up. "You're not going to kill me." It was a promise, rather than an observation.

He laughed. "Oh, good god no. What a waste? No we're just going to hurt you, inflict pain until you reach your full potential. It's actually quite simple."

And with those last words ringing in my ears I fell sideways.

When I woke up I was standing, my arms above my head. I looked up. They were tied together by a chain that was attached to the ceiling. I kicked my legs, trying to swing myself upwards, to maybe use my feet to free myself, but my feet were tied to the floor. Damn. 

I couldn't use my hands... my power was all connected to my hands. I needed to move them to manipulate anything to a large extent. Sure I could try to do something, but anything that could get my free would be hard. With a finger I shot a small spike out into the chains, but they were way too thick  I tried to grip my wrists and heat the chains till they melted, before giving up. It would take way too long. I added using my powers without my hands to an ever growing mental list of useful things to learn to do. I tried to pulls my hands free, my arms swinging back and forth, making the chains clink. I groaned in realisation. I was stuck.

"Yeah, that's not gonna work doll. They got us pretty good huh." Who the...

I turned to look to my right. Chained to the floor by both his hands and feet and leaning against wall was a man. I couldn't quite see his face, it was too dark. Something about his voice, his cadence when he spoke, I couldn't say what but it felt familiar.

"What's your name?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

"James Buchanan Barnes. Friends call me Bucky."

"Oh my fucking god!" I suddenly felt excitement and overwhelming joy fill my body. In this horrible, dark, grim smelling room, I was filled with more hope that I could have dreamed of.