92 - Please Tell Me You're Joking

ADITI

"I have an idea." I bit my lip. I could still see the weird colours swirling around, as though I was looking through coloured plastic. 

Alina groaned and fell back, blood spilling from the corner of her mouth. 

"Hey!" I slapped her round the face. "Don't do that, stay with me."

"Since when did you get so aggressive." She mumbled. "You sound like my uncle."

"I sound like both of our uncles, now stay awake. Please." My voice cracked. I had to hold it together. I had to. Steve was getting the shit beaten out of him, he was no help right now.

She fixed me with a glare. "So long as you don't slap me again." Her hand flew up on instinct, making a bright dome around us as the blast from Wheel's staff came towards us. It bounced off Alina's shield harmlessly, blowing a hole into the wall opposite. She grunted as she fought to keep the forcefield up. "What's your idea."

"You have my powers right?" 

"It doesn't work like that." Sweat was dripping from her, her skin was going horribly pale, nothing like her usual glowing mahogany colour. 

"I know, I know, but what if it did? What if we shared power in a way?" 

"This is your great idea? Neither of us are Roara." Her hand dropped and the forcefield slipped away. "Fuck." She muttered in a tired voice.

"I know, trust me, look, I just..." I groaned. "Let me try, you'll have to help."

"Try what?" She wiped the blood from her mouth with a shaking hand. 

"Go into medical vision." I said. "Just," I looked around desperately, "just do it now."

She shook her head, but she rolled her eyes back into her head anyway. Her body next to me seemed to fade, and I could barely feel her beside me. She was like mist. I closed my eyes tightly. I had only done this once before, and that was earlier today. It had nearly taken everything out of me already. What if this didn't work and I became blind, like, forever? I didn't have the option to think about that right now.

I let my consciousness slip out of my body, and like before, I felt like I was falling backwards into the floor. As I began to float, I pushed myself down, forcing myself to stay in the same position as my body. My jaw clenched as I used all my strength to reach out. I pressed my hands to Alina's head. It would be just like affecting emotions, I figured, like feeling them. Absorbing them. 

I leant forwards and pressed my forehead into hers. It burned. It burned like my entire face was being pressed into hot coals. If I could have screamed, I would have. Suddenly it was like I was being dragged back into my body. As though something didn't want this to happen. I shook it off, holding tightly to her. Normally I couldn't interact with physical things, but I didn't have time to think about how this was even possible. I just had to do what I needed to do.

And then I was seeing things how Alina was seeing them. It was strange, as though all colours had been inverted, turned black and white, moved inside out. I looked down at Alina and I thought I might throw up. I could see her insides, her skeleton, her muscles and her organs and her veins. Whatever this was I was glad I didn't see it often. I could see where her wound was. I pressed a hand to it, my fingers moving into her body with little resistance. I heard Alina gasp, still only the whites of her eyes showing. 

It was weird, like suddenly being able to speak a new language. Somehow I knew what to do. I stitched together the organs, the skin, the flesh, forcing the body to speed up the healing process.