86 -I'm Not His Biggest Fan

ROARA

I have to say, the Ascendency headquarters were mind-blowing. We were in the middle of Hong Kong, having boarded Simon's private jet (being at the top of a very wealthy secret organisation had its perks apparently) and landing not far away. The atrium was light, open, and wide, all glass and mirrors, with plants growing up the sides of the walls and around the massive water feature in the middle.

"What does it front as?" I whispered to Simon as we finished going up the third glass staircase that spiralled around the massive open centre. 

"An investment firm, but we're pretty vague. We just about get away with it." He smiled and held open a door for me to walk through. "What do you think?"

My neck was going to start hurting from all the turning I was doing to try to take in everything. "It's beautiful." I murmured.

"Come on." He nodded towards the doorway. I walked through the door and he followed after me. We were in an office, with a large wooden desk and a view of the city behind it. "Take a seat." He nodded to one of the two seats in front of the desk. There was a whole other area for more casual seating off to one side, but I assume this would be formal. Simon took the seat behind the desk and ran a hand through his hair, muttering to himself about someone being late.

The door opened and I turned around to see Gunn.

He held up a hand. "Sorry I'm late, needed to send in some reinforcements to the other two." His familiar Scottish accent thick. He smiled at me and Simon before sitting down in the way that businessmen did, pressing his tie to his torso as he seated himself comfortably. 

I realised I was the only one in tattered clothes. Simon had changed into a grey suit on the flight while I'd stayed seated and just watched the world go by through the window. I still had all the holes in my t-shirt from the flight, and the massive cast on my leg. I realised though, that my leg no longer ached horribly. In fact, it was probably healed. 

Simon sat back in his chair, the king of his kingdom, and laced his fingers together lazily in his lap. "You two have met. Do you want to say hello?"

I crossed one leg over the other and leant towards Simon. "He did bash my face in with a crowbar as I recall."

"Yes, but that's in the pa-" My knife was at his throat before he could finish his sentence. I wasn't even looked at him, hadn't need to look. I'd kept my eyes on Simon the whole time. 

"As I said. He broke part of my skull with a metal stick. I'm not his biggest fan." I could sense Gunn staying very still at the other end of my knife. Simon's mouth grew into a smile, a glint in his eyes. 

"You," he leant forward to meet me, "are going to be perfect." 

"I should hope so." I spoke softly. "My mother is a God after all." I removed the blade from Gunn's throat and I heard him begin to breath properly again. 

"You know, I think that's the only time I've ever seen Gunn truly terrified." Simon said, chuckling slightly.

"I have your protection and I'm one of the most powerful beings on the earth, it would be unwise of him not to be terrified." I gave Gunn a wink. Gunn cleared his throat. "Besides, I'm free of morals." I shrugged. "There's nothing stopping me killing him."

"You know I can move very fast and I'm bullet proof." Gunn said quietly.

"I know big guy, but you're not indestructible." My hand was resting on the table. I closed my fist slowly. Gun put a hand to his chest, his breathing becoming a wheeze as I drew all the air out of him. He grabbed his throat, scratching at it, trying to get oxygen in. I began to laugh. It was funny seeing him squirm, seeing his cheeks go red, to see the fear in his eyes.