39 - Maybe The Hips Just Don't Lie

ALINA

Sipping my drink by the bar, I watched as the couples danced together. Roara was with Loki, her arms delicately placed around his neck, her head on his chest, eyes practically closed. Her bright colours on her arm looking particularly vibrant next to the muted colours of his navy Asgardian jacket and black shirt. 

"Bucky." I heard Steve mutter from along the bar. "You're staring." I looked in their direction. He definitely was staring.

"Am I?" Bucky downed his drink and put his empty glass on the counter, gesturing for another. 

"Yes." I hissed to him. 

He looked me up and down and said nothing. 

"Sorry about him." Steve whispered. "He's being very negative at the moment."

"I can see that."

"You'll have to excuse him. He's had a very hard-"

"Life?" I guessed. "My parents both died before I was 18. We've all dealt with shit."

"Well I guess that's fair enough." I looked over his shoulder to see Maria standing by the bar, looking absolutely incredible in her pant-suit. 

"If you could excuse me." I said to Steve before walking around him to go and stand by Maria.

I called over to the bar-tender. "Excuse me! Could we have two champagnes please?" He nodded and pulled the glasses from the shelf.

"Thanks." She smiled. "I didn't want to bother him, my drink isn't that important."

"I think your drink is very important." I nodded a thank you as he placed our drinks next to us. I picked up her glass and handed it to her. "To drinks being important." I smiled.

"To drinks." She replied and took a sip.

"So, have you see Roara and Loki tonight?" I asked, leaning on the bar.

She chuckled. "Yeah, the boys were having bets as to how long it'd be before he started salivating. We saw the dress designs early." She shrugged. 

"Who's winning?"

"Well I lost, because I said minus five seconds." She smiled. "But Thor seems to be winning the lucky bastard."

"How much is the grand prize?"

"Tony put in a thousand because he was certain it'd be in the first five minutes."

I snorted, nearly choking on my champagne. Maria laughed and slapped me on the back.

"Yeah." I coughed. "Sounds like my uncle."

"Well I said after an hour and a half he wouldn't be able to hold it in any longer."

I giggled, and as I turned to check on Roara, I saw her lock eyes with me. I gave her a wink before turning back to Maria.

"Oh your hair, it's," I tucked the piece of hair that had come loose behind her ear, "that's better."

"Thank you. I really should be going though, my boyfriend will be waiting." She smiled at me and I tried not to let my face fall.

"Alright there Stark?" Sam leaned up against the bar beside me.

"Why did nobody tell me Maria has a boyfriend?" I groaned with embarrassment.

Sam looked at Maria and then back to me, "Wait she has a boyfriend?"

"Yep." I took a long drink of my champagne.

"Damn. So you chatting up didn't steal her away?" He glanced at me.