72 - Kiss And Tell

ADITI

"What do you mean they've left?" Alina was saying, hands spread out over a map of New York City.

"Just overnight." Steve shrugged. "They up and left." The Ascendency was no longer in Central Park apparently. This was causing a lot of tension, and throwing up a lot of emotions. The regular patrols and guarding had become a routine, with lower down agents doing the physical guarding, but nearly everyone (apart from me) pitched in. I want allowed to go because I didn't have any hand to hand combat training.

"Nobody is left?" She asked, stalking over to where he was standing, all suited up with his shield on his back. Alina going face to face with Steve when her hackles were up like this was a site to behold. She was taller than average, muscular too, and when she was not someone you wanted to annoy. "No sign of them?"

"They wiped the CCTV from around the city, I told you. I'm sorry Ali." They stared at each other. Even though she was only in a vest top and gym leggings she, somehow, looked less vulnerable than he did. It was the way she stood, I realised, the energy of superiority she was giving off. She was definitely a Stark. Her eyes also, those incredible dark orbs, that felt like they were weighing up every inch of you. She was mad, really mad. Like Bruce had been when he'd heard the news, but he'd stormed off back to the lab instead. We were in an 'informal meeting room' as Clint had called it. There were a couple of armchairs, a few couches and tables, as well as a projector and some computers. Tony and Pepper had begun arguing in the main living room so some of us had removed ourselves to here. It wasn't as formal as the briefing room, but it wasn't somewhere we went to relax, it wasn't our space so to speak. I felt that there may have been another reason we were here. 

"Well that's why we supposed to have people surveying the footage as it happened." She said, arms crossed. Her hair had grown out long enough to be styled a little now, and it was in a short fade, with a couple of lines shaved into the sides, giving her a slightly edgy punk look. Steve's hair made him look like a golden retriever in comparison. 

"It's not my fault they fell asleep at their stations." He said through gritted teeth.

"Well who's fault was it?" She hissed.

I glanced at Clint who shrugged. I went back to my newspaper, pretending not to keep one eye on the conversation. I'd never seen these two go head to head before, but it was quite something to watch. I didn't normally get to read the newspaper at home, what with my parents cutting me off from the outside world slightly because they didn't want me to get any ideas about becoming a 'superhero' like my uncle. Look how well that turned out!

"You wanted to see me?" A tall blonde man poked his head around the doorframe of the meeting room. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise slightly. It happened sometimes when I met new people. 

"Yes. Agent Bridges." Steve gave him a brief but tight smile. "Come on in.

"Oh, it's this guy?" Alina pointed to him. "This guy?" She turned to him. "You were in charge of the officers last night?"

He nodded. "I'm one of the more senior agents here and I was on roll last night." He looked seriously embarrassed. I supposed he'd already been shouted at.

"How the HELL did six people fall asleep at their duties? All at once?" Ali fumed.

"Ma'am, we're all tired. We've been doing night and day shifts for a few weeks now, we slipped up-"

"SLIPPED UP?!" She yelled. "YOU SLIPPED UP? Is that all you have to say for yourself? This was vital, this was so important, and you fucked it!" 

"It won't happen again." He vowed.