35 - Sacrifice

ROARA

All I knew was bright light, pain, and then darkness. 

I fell to the floor, Loki's body still in my arms, sobbing into his chest. I couldn't feel his heartbeat. I couldn't feel it.

"My child, what is the matter?"

I looked up. In front of me was a woman, hair dark as mine, eyes blue like my own, beautifully red lips. She was tall, far taller than me.

"Mother?" I asked. "Gaea?"

She nodded and crouched beside me. I looked around. We were in a forest, lush and green, birds chirping. 

"Where are we?" I asked.

"My home. Come. Leave the man."

"No." I pulled him closer to me. "Please. I don't want to let him go."

She sighed and shook his head. "Come, we will return." Carefully she prized him off me, and pulled me to my feet. 

Holding my hand she led me through the forest. It was so peaceful, I was surprised at how easily my anger had flooded out of me. 

"It's because this is where your soul is at peace." She explained. "I can't read minds," she smiled, "just faces."

"Mother...can I call you that?"

"Of course." She led me further into the green landscape. The trees were thick, with more plants twining around them. They were a deeper and more vibrant shade of green than I could have thought possible.

"Mother," I stopped walking, "why am I here?" 

She gave a light tug on my arm and I continued beside her. "Because daughter, you were in pain. A great deal of it. I've granted you powers before when you've been in distress but this was different. I felt I had to see you in person." 

We got to a small clearing, two large cushions across from one another. "Sit." She said, a welcoming arm gesturing to the seats. I sat, surprised at how comfortable it was. She sat across from me, crossed legged. With a light gesture, a mug of tea appeared in my hands. It was one of those mugs without handles, made out of glazed green pottery. I gave it a sniff. Last time I'd had tea it had not gone down well. 

"It's not poisoned. You are welcome to not drink it, if you would like. However if I wanted you dead I would not have to go to all this trouble. It's rose and chamomile." She smiled encouragingly, although I wasn't keen on the 'if I wanted you dead' comment. I took a sip. It was by far the best drink I'd ever tasted. "Now child, speak to me."

I put the tea down by my feet. "A man I care about." I began.

"The one in the clearing?" She asked.

"Yes. He was killed by a woman who wanted to use the powers you've given me for her own use. I... I couldn't..."

"Your rage, my child, is both a blessing and a curse. You feel like no other. Everyone experiences this earth differently." She gestured to the forest. "You think the green you see here is the green that I see? Or that your male companion would see, should he open his eyes? It is not. You have to control this emotion of yours, because it is connected to the powers you hold. I cannot help you with that. Only you can do it. Your friend, she killed this woman you speak of?"

I paused. "Yes. How did you know?"

"I see much daughter. You would do well to remember that. He is not dead you realise. It is why I have taken us here. Here time cannot touch us. He has but moments, though moments may be enough. Odin always had something to say about time." She sighed and stirred her tea with an invisible spoon.