61 - Physics Stuff

ALINA

I dropped my bags in my room and headed wearily to the briefing room. I pushed open the door and was surprised to see Aditi having a hushed conversation with Peter. She glanced up at me as I came in.

"Alina." She smiled and waved.

"Hey Aditi." I sank into a chair as she turned back to the boy next to her. 

"Hey Ali." Tony said, squeezing my shoulder as he came in, giving me a quick kiss on the head.

"What was that for?"

"Just happy that you're back safe." Tony gave me a quick smile before heading over to his usual seat at the back of the room, followed by Pepper who gave me a quick hug. 

There were some more hellos and greetings as everyone made their way into the room. It was the first time we were all together since coming back from the building site. We had non-Avenger agents situated around Central Park so that we could all be here. Steve settled into the chair next to me, and Bucky gave me a quick nod as he took the chair next to Steve. It was the first time I'd seen Thor for a while. He looked uncharacteristically tired.

Nicky Fury came into the room, followed by Maria. 

"Alright," Fury dropped a large file of papers onto the long table, "this is a quick meeting. Here is all the data we've collected and analysed so far, going from everything we know about the Ascendency, to all the results of the lab tests we've already done, and everywhere Thor and Bucky have looked for Roara and Loki. There is a page in here for all of you detailing the events that happened four days ago to Aditi, this is very confidential information and I do not want any of you to speak to her about it unless she tells you to. It's brief and it is not detailed, not only for Aditi's peace of mind but Roara's too, even though she is not present."

I opened my mouth to ask what had happened when Fury spoke again. "You will find out everything when you read it Miss Stark, no need to ask questions. We have had no sightings of Loki or Roara so our best guess is that they are off world, or have been taken by the Ascendency, neither of which is ideal."

"Or they could be dead." Tony shrugged.

"Tony!" Pepper shot him a disapproving look. 

"I'm just saying what we're all thinking." Tony said, one arm folded, the other under his chin. "I mean, we are all thinking it, aren't we? They were in a collapsing building, they can't be located, from Peter and Aditi's accounts Loki was badly injured. I mean fit the puzzle pieces together and what do you get? Two dead demi-gods."

"She's not dead." Bucky said gruffly.

"And how would you know tin-man? Got word from Oz?" 

"I just know." Bucky gripped the side of the table.

"Buck." Steve put a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, nobody thinks they're dead."

"I have people searching the nine realms." Thor leant forwards, his forearms on the table. "If they are there, we will find them."

"We have not classified them as dead, only missing persons." Fury brought us back to him. "Now the other thing we have to discuss in the funeral, which is in three days' time." 

We all went silent. Aditi's eyes were locked onto the floor, Peter's hand on her back. Nat reached across the table and squeezed Bruce's hand.

"Her step-father, Michael, would like us all to be present. Now I understand that some of you might have reservations about this as we'd all be together in public, we'd be easy to attack all in one place, however as the Ascendency has made no signs to move, I think it is safe to say the least we can do is pay our respects."