Chapter 26: Saving My Friend

Nagatoro: Let's go, senpai!

Everyone: YEAH!!!!! MVP!!! MVP!!!! MVP!!!!

I had just blocked and taken the rebound from the opposing team's best player. Holding the ball, I dribbled it around my legs, as I took it up the court. There was really no point in playing right now. The score was too out of hand to be called fair. 

152-75

However, regardless, that Angry coach just wouldn't have it and made me play the final minutes of the game regardless. Suchiro was also in the game as he signaled for the ball. 

I threw an accurate pass to him as he caught it and dribbled around the wing. In my time playing on this team, I learned a few new tricks, one being the screen. 

I gestured to one of our tallest players, a freshman, to set up a screen, as I faked to the right and went to the left. Blocking my defender with the screen, it opened the left side of the court as I pointed to Sukiro, our usual signal to throw a pass in the air. 

He smiled and threw it with both hands into the air. 

Before they even realized what I planned on doing, I was already in the air, jumping from the side of the paint. 

Grabbing the ball midair, I twirled it around and slammed it inside, causing the hundreds of students watching to cheer. 

Landing on the ground, I looked at Sukiro, who smiled as I nodded. 

Announcer: ALLEY-OOP! THE ONE, TWO PUNCH STRIKES AGAIN!!!!

Jogging down the court, I looked up at the shot clock, knowing the game was over. The bell sounded, as the final score read 154-75. 

Cheers continued to come from the audience, as this was our 15th straight win and the number 1 spot in the division was already secure. We also were rated number 1 in the country's power rankings, beating out ANHS.

...

 It's been 2 months since Kei's left for Europe. I was finally able to resolve our issues and now she can fully move on from me, as I will from her. Due to Gamo-chan's help, and some strange coincidence, I was able to give the mantel of the art club to none other than President's cousin, who started this year as a freshmen. 

And since then, I've been in contact with President on her cousin's wellbeing. I also learned that President now drives a motorcycle which surprised even me, but in a good way. School has been more tedious, and as a result of my increasing popularity, I've had both kouhai's and classmates confess to me, of which I rejected.

And as I've described, my time has been mostly allocated to the basketball team, where it has been pretty fun each and every game. Up to this point, 15 games have been played. There were only 6 more games before the start of the Interim Highschool tournament, which had the best schools from each division in Japan, compete. 

However, I didn't much care for that. I saw participating in this sport as a hobby and something that I could spend my time in. Also, playing with my kouhai, Suchiro, is not all that terrible. He's certainly becoming a very good player as well, hence the nickname we've been given by fans from our district, 'One, Two, Punch.'

And as I expected, it was making the principal all the more happy. Whenever we had a committee or meeting in the auditorium, all he did was brag about our team, as I could do nothing more than cosign. But it wasn't as bad of a drag as I expected it to be. It simply took adjusting. And I also had Nagatoro to thank for that. She's been pretty supportive, as well as her friends and even Arisu.

This wasn't so bad.

And in a matter of a single month, I will be celebrating my first Christmas celebrated in complete freedom. But that is for another time.