Prologue

It's been years since I have seen him last, and not a day has passed that I haven't thought about him.

For this to be a successful reunion I have to show him how much he has lost by letting me go.

I squint my eyes to look at the sign that I know by heart and an eerie feeling creeps into my veins. The sign reads:

In the Forest of the Forever Moments you will have access to your memories exactly as they happened. Ps: the Forest of the Forever Moments has the right to lie.

The fresh night air falls on my face and brushes against the intricate patterns of the tree branches and it lifts my silk skirt revealing my bare thighs, which the wind is touching in a way that feels too sensual for this to be the making of the wind. 

My cheeks flush and I feel warm down there at the realisation. My legs tremble and then shake and so does my heart.

In the darkness, amongst the majestic trees, a silhouette appears.

"Welcome back," says a vibrant, silky voice.

For a moment my heart stops. This isn't the prince of the Forest I expected to reunite with tonight. And yet my heart twirls at the sound of his voice.

"You couldn't stay away from us, could you? Don't tell me the "I told you so" is uncalled for,"

says a deeper, harsher voice. Now that I know the truth about them I can hear the unusual melodies in their voices, low notes filled sang to perfection, like Italian musical instruments made by careful artisans.

I should have known two boys like them could not be human.

My heart is still racing in confusion and excitement and I realise that I had been so eager to come back here and see them again that I haven't given enough thought to the answer to the question which has been the reason I have been banned from seeing them all these years.

And of course I knew they would ask but it still takes my breath away when they ask the question I have avoided to even answer in my own head.

"Well, have you made your choice, Princess?"

And my heart sinks but I know that only one of them is the answer.