Drugs Made Me Loopy

"Hey Jen, do you mind..." Irene stops as she turns to glance at the patient, attention diverted by the tug on her sleeve courtesy of the patient that now sat propped up on the bed beside her. She whispers something to the patient before calling Jennie again. "...switching in for me and sitting with her for a while? Dr. Son needs me to fill her in on the post-op patient in bed 3."

Jennie looks up from where she had been standing, rather awkwardly bent forward in order to bring her eye-level down to view the patient records open on the computer screen. A pen lay on the note of the clipboard beside her.

"Sure, just let me finish with writing up the discharge summary."

The noise of the hospital rushes around her, an ever-present ambiance that she had long grown accustomed to. There were the hushed discussions between medical professionals over patient management, the buzz of visitors' conversations with patients behind drawn curtains, and of course, there was the ever-present beeping of monitors, which could be considered almost to be like the heartbeat of the hospital.

Five minutes later, with a flourish of her pen and the definitive snapping shut of the clipboard, Jennie returns the clipboard to its rightful place and pads over to her colleague.

And the patient.

"...in a-pod."

Jennie's ears catch the tail end of a sentence.

Weird.

Irene grins at her in a manner that almost blinds her.

Oh no.

Jennie had only seen that look a handful of times, but with each, it had resulted in a ton of trouble.

A smile of danger that always delivered its promise.

Jennie purses her lips, her face rearranging itself into a reproving expression, and stares back at her friend.

"Oh whoa."

The voice comes out of nowhere, and despite the grogginess of the owner, the syllables still managed to retain a melodic quality that pulls Jennie's attention to its owner – patient. The brunette sighs and decides to abandon her attempts to foresee the trouble her friend would conjure up because she would ultimately find out in due time anyway.

Even if it meant several calls to a locksmith so that she could regain access to her apartment again.

(Irene really was a handful at times.)

The patient was a woman of small stature, probably around Irene's height – not that Jennie was much taller herself, as Jennie liked to point out.

"Jen, this is my patient Kim Jisoo. She's in here for a broken arm and will be needing surgery."

Jennie notes the sling and the way the girl cradled her arm to her chest, protective, but without indications of any pain or discomfort.

"Hey Jisoo, so this is my colleague, Jennie. She'll sit with you from now on."

"What? Don't go...she looks scary."

Jennie raises an eyebrow at the comment, but when Irene bursts out laughing as she gets up from the chair by Jisoo's bedside, she raises the other one too.

WTF?

Irene pats Jennie's arm with a sickeningly sweet smile and points to the vacated seat.

"I'll leave you in good hands, Jisoo. Bye!"

Irene skips away – she literally skips away – and all Jennie can do is stare after her, eyes narrowed.

"Come, sit with meeeee?"