Lullaby

I feel a strange movement in the movement in the bed. I keep my eyes closed, maybe my wife is just having a restless dream.

I'm almost falling asleep again when the mattress ripples again. I open my eyes quickly, a feeling of concern settles in me. I stretch my left arm to the side and turn on the light on the lamp. I look towards Jennie and see her lying on her back, eyes pressed and legs restless.

"Love? Are you in pain?"

I slide over the mattress and go to her, worried. I quickly put my left hand on her huge belly for a beautiful eight months of gestation.

"She doesn't stop quiet, Chu. I can't sleep."

Jennie whimpers and turns to face me. Her eyes are dull, as she has been quite often during the past month. I smile sideways and stroke my cheek with the tips of my fingers. She looks so beautiful, even more, beautiful than usual. Her hair is now dark brown almost black, long, and her face rounder with chunky cheeks due to pregnancy, her eyes were in a beautiful shade of brown. I sigh in love. Not even with a tired expression does Jennie stop being beautiful.

"Is there anything I can do? A massage? A hot bath?"

I continually touch and caress her belly, delighted I felt our daughter's little kicks constantly. It makes me smile, there is nothing better than feeling it and knowing that there is a piece of me and Jennie inside.

"I wish that by some miracle you could calm her down."

She sighs heavily and rests her hands on the mattress, supports her weight, and sits down, crawling slowly backward until her back touches the headboard.

"Chu, love."

A beautiful pout forms on her lips after she calls me. I melt, that beautiful woman looking like a big baby made me sigh a thousand times more when I did something. I sit on the bed and slide closer to her. I pass my left leg over her thighs, then sit on them.

"Maybe she likes to hear my voice, what do you think?"

"It would be a good idea."

She easily agrees. Of course, all Jennie wants most is a good night's sleep. I smile and lean in to seal our lips quickly. I move away from her and go down. Jennie spreads her legs to snuggle me between them. I wrap my fingers around the hem of her black cotton blouse and pull it up until half of her belly is showing.

I support my elbows on the mattress, placing my arms under her thighs, which are flexed on the bed. She stays in that position as if giving birth. I feel her gaze burning over me, I glance up, and smiles at me.

"You are beautiful." To compliment her, cheeks turning red. It's amazing she still blushes for my compliments even after long years of relationship. Fruit of a love of adolescence, when we were still part of a group with our best friends. It took us so long to accept and understand how we felt about each other. She hurt me, I hurt her. But all of that was just to prepare for this phase of our life. Now older and more mature we have a solid marriage.

"How can you get even more beautiful with each new day?"

"Stop it, Jisoo."

Telling me completely award. Her face goes beyond red, turning more to darker shades of red. I shook my head, she looks away and pouts her lip as she always does when she's shy.

"Hey princess" I whisper (that kind of voice we do when we talk to children). I felt Jennie's gaze on me, but I didn't look at her.

"Hi my love, do you know that this is me your momma?"

I put my right hand close to her navel and felt the movement lessen. It's as if she already recognized me, and for some reason, she's calmer listening to my voice. Jennie says that the little one already knows it's me.

"Sing her a song" my wife whispers as a request. "She wants you to sing for her."

I look up and raise an eyebrow, she just gave me a mischievous smile.

"Why am I almost sure that it's her mother who wants to hear me sing?"

"I don't know anything about it."

She denied and pretends innocence, which makes me laugh amusedly. I bring my lips closer to her belly and place a soft peck on it.

"Would my baby like to hear a lullaby?"

"Yes momma" with a false child's voice my wife responds. I shake my head and laugh. I love this girl-woman unconditionally.

I clear my throat and take a deep breath before starting to sing.

Starting the first line in a soft voice, low so that only the baby can hear. With both hands, I make circles in Jennie's belly. Under the palms of my hands, I notice that our little daughter is starting to get less agitated. Some movements can still be felt, but they are very smooth.

"Your very own lullaby" I ended the song and seal my lips on Jennie's belly once again. I take my arms out from under my wife's thighs, which are now stretched out on our bed.

"Jenduek?"

I called my wife, but I didn't hear any responds. Which makes me confirm what I already knew, she was asleep. I carefully set her on the bed and make her lie down, cover her with a blanket. I slip under the covers and turn off the lamp, which makes the room dark again. I slowly approach the bed and pull Jennie carefully to lay her head on my chest, caressing and touching her back smoothly and gently.

"Goodnight Jendeukie."

I whisper and smell Jennie's hair before kissing her forehead. Hearing my wife's breathing sound and low, feeling her warm body heat around me I quickly fell asleep.

Now without interruptions.

●●●●●