Be Natural

"Lipstick, check. Hairstyle, check. Perfume, check. High heels, check. Did I miss anything else?" Jennie muttered to herself as she slipped on her heels.

"This!" a bubbly voice said.

Rosé, Jennie's younger sister, bounced in front of the nervous girl. She used her fingers to part the furrowed brows on her elder sister's face and pulled the corners of her lips upward.

"Smile, check. Good to go!" Rosé beamed.

Jennie was a bundle of nerves as she stepped out of her apartment. She was on the way to meet her former best friend turned lover. It was just two nights ago when Jisoo suddenly confessed to her while they were at the supermarket.

~ Flashback ~

After dinner, Jennie wanted to buy some apples for her home so they went to a nearby supermarket.

Jennie picked up one red apple and held it up while examining it for dents.

"All apples are the same, why are you choosing them so carefully?" Jisoo asked after returning from the confectionary aisle.

"There are many varieties of apples. Some are sweet while some are bland. Anyway, it doesn't interest you since your interest is in gummies."

Jisoo let out a laugh. "You're behaving like an ahjumma."

"An ahjumma?" Jennie asked, puzzled by Jisoo's comment.

"Only ahjummas compare prices and take such a long time to choose one product."

Jennie gave Jisoo a smack on the latter's arm.

"Hey, I'll get you for it later. Don't you dare call me ahjumma again." Jennie glared at Jisoo jokingly while putting the bag of apples in the basket.

Jisoo bowed slightly as she said, "Yes, beautiful .... ahjumma!" Then she dashed away before Jennie could hit her.

As Jennie turned around the corner at the end of an aisle, Jisoo suddenly surprised her with a bouquet made of broccoli and cauliflowers.

"What is this?" Jennie's eyes opened wide in amazement.

"Be my girlfriend. I want you to be my girlfriend, not just my best friend." Jisoo's face was serious as she held out the vegetable bouquet.

"Are you serious? You're asking me to be your girlfriend at a supermarket?"

Jisoo nodded slowly. "I'm being me, the practical me. I'm not a rich person and neither have a rich family. I can only promise you I'll make you happy in whatever little ways I can. We can live a simple but fulfilling life, as long as we're together."

Jennie didn't know if she should laugh or cry at that very moment. In the end, she took a picture of Jisoo with the vegetable bouquet before accepting it from her.

"If we do get married in the future, I want a bouquet of blue roses that are at least ten times bigger than the current bouquet," Jennie demanded, waving the photo on her phone as evidence.

"Of course! I'll start saving from ... tomorrow!" Jisoo proclaimed.

~ End of flashback ~

Jisoo and Jennie had not met up nor exchanged text messages since that night due to their busy work schedules. Today was their first official date as a couple and Jennie had a sea of anxiety deep down in her stomach. Rosé kept telling her to treat it like a normal outing with Jisoo and not a date, but Jennie just couldn't relax a single bit.