All I Ever Need

Jennie was not in a good mood now. In fact, she felt extremely annoyed over the smallest thing. The chirping of the birds, the rustling of leaves in the cool breeze, the sounds of sneakers crushing the gravel path separating the business and art blocks, and many others. On a normal day, she wouldn't even notice their existence but not today. She was having her period and the cramps caused her to be highly irritable.

Jennie sighed and put her book down. She couldn't focus and there was no point in staring at the same paragraph over and over again. Looking across the table, she watched as Jisoo solved math problems like she was born to do it. The raven was wrinkling her nose and frowning almost simultaneously, her hair was a little ruffled but nonetheless, she still looked beautiful.

Crossing her legs on the bench, Jennie propped her chin against her hands and rested her elbows on the table. There was a soft glow on the left side of Jisoo's face as the setting sun's rays hit their table at an angle. Jennie could see the distinct jawline and the brown in Jisoo's eyes and it warmed her heart. She wanted to reach across the table and touch Jisoo's cheek.

Just then, Jisoo looked up. "Are you alright?"

Jennie shook her head. "It's the cramps."

"Ah, do you want me to get you something warm, like a cup of tea?" Jisoo suggested, putting down her pen and adjusting the uneven bun on her head. She bit the pink rubber band and let down her hair. The black strands cascade down her shoulders. It was an amazing sight, at least for Jennie.

"No, I drank two cups of tea already."

Jisoo finished tying her hair in a neat ponytail. "I think you should take a break."

Jennie sighed inwardly. A break wasn't what she needed. No matter how many breaks she took, she just couldn't focus. Maybe she needed something else. Something sweet. A sugar rush.

A sudden craving hit Jennie. She wanted to eat her favorite strawberry shortcake.

"Let's go to the roof to take a breather." Jisoo stood up and packed her stuff.

Knowing it would be impossible to find a strawberry shortcake in school, Jennie accepted that a change of environment was the next best option to ease her irritable mood.

"Are you sure that noisy bunch wouldn't be at the roof now?" Jennie asked. She couldn't handle dealing with the school's infamous trio named The Three's. The trio comprised of Lisa, Chaeyoung, and Seulgi and they belonged to the dance club. They often practice on the roof with their loud hip-hop music.

The roof was a favorite hangout place for Jennie and Jisoo. They were indifferent classes but met through a school event and became close.

"I'll go and chase them away for you."

Jennie grinned. "You're spoiling me, always looking out for me."

"Do I?" Jisoo smiled. It was a smile that made Jennie forget about cramps. A smile that blocked out all the irritation Jennie was feeling.

"Should I stop spoiling you then?"

Jennie's eyes widened in shock. "Of course not! I'm not complaining about the attention I'm getting, especially when it comes from you."

Jennie felt her face redden as she grabbed her bag and hurried behind Jisoo.

Looking at her watch, Jisoo turned around to face Jennie. "I'm sure The Three's has packed up and left. They were talking about catching a 6 pm movie. Why don't you go up to the roof first? I want to leave some stuff in the locker before I see you at the usual spot."

Jennie pursed her lips. "Okay."

Climbing up the raised concrete block in the middle of the roof, Jennie could admire the bird's eye view it had to offer. It was autumn and the trees that lined the paths in school were dressed in various shades of brown. Looking into the distance, the image of a strawberry shortcake appeared in the clouds.

"If only there is a strawberry shortcake now..." Jennie wished.

A few moments later, Jennie heard familiar footsteps making their way towards her. Then she saw Jisoo holding a white box in her hand as she gingerly climbed the concrete block.

"What's that?" Jennie asked curiously.

"This is something that will erase that perpetual frown on your forehead and chase the dark clouds looming above your head away." Jisoo appeared to be holding in her laughter as she places the box on the concrete block.

"Sounds magical." Jennie slowly opened the cover and let out a gasp when she saw the content.

"When did you get this?!" Jennie exclaimed, pointing to the thick slice of strawberry shortcake inside the box.

"I figured you would be grumpy since it's the second day of your period and I don't like to hang out with a cranky mandu, hence I bought this as a backup," Jisoo laughed as she explained.

"You're spoiling me so much, Chu" Jennie beamed with delight, her eyes twinkling with joy and her smile was radiant.

"Because you're worth it," Jisoo smiled gently, patting the top of Jennie's head. "Enjoy."

This girl was all Jennie ever needed.

●●●●●