Only You

"Let's break up. For real. I mean it."

"Do we have to do this?"

"Do you think I want to do this? I've had enough of your erratic temperaments, overbearing jealousy, and how you want to run my life for me. I can't take it anymore!"

"Can't we talk it out like how we did?"

"We've gone through this so many times. Since you're going home, I guess it's the best time for me to bring this up for the last time and make a clean break."

There was a long pause.

"Must we come to this?"

"Goodbye Jen. Thank you for the wonderful memories." [Sounds of someone walking away]

"Chu..." [Sounds of someone sobbing softly]

*********

"When minutes become hours
When days become years
And I don't know where you are
Color seems so dull without you"

After fourteen hours and more than eight thousand five hundred kilometres later, Jen arrived at the Melbourne International Airport. As the taxi turned into the suburb of St Kilda, she was welcomed by a never-ending stretch of shops and cafes. A wave of nostalgia rose in her heart as she saw the iconic Hotel Esplanade coming into view.

We used to party here after hanging out at the beach. I miss those fun and crazy moments at the beach, fooling around with you and our friends. Those were the good old carefree days.

She grabbed a quick dinner at one of the cafes along the sidewalk before heading back to her room to rest after a long flight from Seoul. Soaking herself in the bath tub, Jen sipped a glass of Moet & Chandon champagne, letting the golden bubbly liquid coat her throat. She picked up her mobile phone and scrolled through her contact list, stopping at the letter "T". She allowed her finger to hover above a particular contact's number, wondering if she could press the green phone button to dial that number. In the end, the screen turned black before the call was made and the phone was left beside the bath tub.

The following morning, Jen arrived at a red-brick double storey building with a large green field at the back. There was a huge white tent with colourful banners hanging along the fence that surrounded the field. A wooden sign stating "Starbright Children's Home" was hammered onto a wooden pole at the entrance of the building. As she was about to enter the main door of the building, her eyes landed on a white Volkswagen Golf GTi with the number plate 'ANG3L'. Her heart trembled with anticipation at the realization that someone she knew may be attending this event.

*Flashback*

"What do you think of this car?" Jisoo beamed, leaning against a second-hand white Volkswagen Golf at a used car dealer.

"Suits your skin colour," Jen laughed.

"I'm so glad I found it. It took me such a long time to find this particular model in this colour from the used car dealers. It's like finding my soulmate, except that I've already found mine," Jisoo said cheekily, shooting a wink at Jen. Jen blushed, her cheeks turning pink.

"I want to bid for a new number plate. What shall I put on it?" Jisoo pursed her lips, patting the number plate that was on the front of the car.

"It's up to you. The car's yours. I'm only an accessory for the driver," Jen said in mock sadness.

Jisoo looked at Jen, wrapped one hand around her waist and whispered, "Angel. You're my Angel so I'm going to name the car after you."