02.8

[act two; chapter eight     -     poison]

"Thermos!" Percy screamed as they hurtled toward the water.

"What?" Annabeth and Andromeda both must've thought Percy had lost his mind. They were holding on to the boat straps for dear life, their hair flying straight up like a torch.

But Tyson understood. He managed to open his brother's duffel bag and take out Hermes's magical thermos without losing his grip on it or the boat.

Arrows and javelins whistled past them.

Percy grabbed the thermos and hoped he was doing the right thing. "Hang on!"

"I am hanging on!" Annabeth yelled.

"Tighter!"

"How much tighter can we hold on for our lives, Perseus!?" Andromeda shouted at him, her eyes wide.

Percy hooked his feet under the boat's inflatable bench, and as Tyson grabbed Annabeth, Andromeda and Percy by the backs of their shirts, the boy gave the thermos cap a quarter turn.

Instantly, a white sheet of wind jetted out of the thermos and propelled the boat sideways, turning their downward plummet into a forty-five-degree crash landing.

The wind seemed to laugh as it shot from the thermos, like it was glad to be free. As they hit the ocean, they bumped once, twice, skipping like a stone, then they were whizzing along like a speed boat, salt spray in their faces and nothing but sea ahead.

Percy heard a wail of outrage from the ship behind them, but they were already out of weapon range. The Princess Andromeda faded to the size of a white toy boat in the distance, and then it was gone.