03.15

[act three; chapter fifteen     -     vines and madness]

"Tell me when it's over," Thalia said. Her eyes were shut tight. The statue was holding on to them so we couldn't fall, but still Thalia clutched his arm like it was the most important thing in the world. Beside her, Andromeda giggled under her breath.

"Everything's fine," Percy promised.

"Are...are we very high?"

Andromeda looked down. Below them, a range of snowy mountains zipped by. Percy stretched out his foot and kicked snow off one of the peaks.

"Nah," he said. "Not that high."

"We are in the Sierras." Zoë yelled. She and Grover were hanging from the arms of the other statue while Donnie was chilling, his arms crossed behind his head like he was trying to tan. "I have hunted here before. At this speed, we should be in San Francisco in a few hours."

"Hey, hey, Frisco!" the angel holding Percy, Andromeda, and Thalia said. "Yo, Chuck! We could visit those guys at the Mechanics Monument again! They know how to party!"

"Oh, man," the other angel said. "I am so there!"

"You guys have visited San Francisco?" Percy asked, his head tilting to the side a little bit, and Andromeda could feel something—she has no clue what—made her almost aw about his confused expression.

"We automatons gotta have some fun once in a while, right?" the statue said. "Those mechanics took us over to the de Young Museum and introduced us to these marble lady statues, see. And—"

"Hank!" the other statue Chuck cut in. "They're kids, man."

"Oh, right." If bronze statues could blush, she swore Hank did. "Back to flying."