03.17

[act three; chapter seventeen     -     the weight of the sky]

The horrible thing was: Percy could see the family resemblance. Atlas had the same regal expression as Zoë, the same cold proud look in his eyes that Zoë sometimes got when she was mad, though on him it looked a thousand times more evil. He was all the things Percy had originally disliked about Zoë, with none of the good he'd come to appreciate.

"Let Artemis go," Zoë demanded.

Atlas walked closer to the chained goddess. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

Zoë opened her mouth to speak, but Artemis said, "No! Do not offer, Zoë! I forbid you."

Atlas smirked. He knelt next to Artemis and tried to touch her face, but the goddess bit at him, almost taking off his fingers. Percy wasn't even surprised when he heard Andromeda let out a small giggle.

"Hoo-hoo," Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the center of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

Percy looked at Annabeth. She was desperately trying to tell him something. She motioned her head toward Luke and then Eliza, her stormy eyes flickering between the two and then to the redhead at Percy's side...But all he could do was stare at her. He hadn't noticed before, but something about her had changed. Her blond hair was now streaked with gray.

"From holding the sky," Thalia muttered, as if she'd read his mind. "The weight should've killed her."

"I don't understand," Percy said. "Why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?"