04.5

[act four; chapter five     -     hera, queen of soccer moms]

Just after dawn the next day, the quest group met at Zeus's Fist. It was a clear morning. The fog had burned off and the sky was blue. Campers would be having their lessons today, flying pegasi and practicing archery and scaling the lava wall. Meanwhile, the group of demigods, a satyr, and a cyclops, could be heading underground.

Juniper and Grover stood apart from the group. Juniper had been crying again, but she was trying to keep it together for Grover's sake. She kept fussing with his clothes, straightening his rasta cap and brushing goat fur off his shirt. Since they had no idea what they would encounter, he was dressed as a human, with the cap to hide his horns, and jeans, fake feet, and sneakers to hide his goat legs.

Percy had pulled Andromeda away from the group the moment she walked up to them, her red hair in messy dutch braids with dark circles under her eyes. He explained to her his dream about Theseus, Nico, and the fact that Donnie, her very own twin brother, was accompanying the son of Hades.

Chiron, Quintus, and Mrs. O'Leary stood with the other campers who'd come to wish them well, but there was too much activity for it to feel like a happy send-off. A couple of tents had been set up by the rocks for guard duty. Beckendorf, Janaya, and their siblings were working on a line of defensive spikes and trenches. Chiron had decided they needed to guard the Labyrinth exit at all times, just in case.

Annabeth was doing one last check on her supply pack. When Tyson, Percy, and Andromeda came wandering over, she frowned. "Percy, you look terrible."

"He killed the water fountain last night," Tyson confided.

"What?" she asked. Then she turned her head towards Andromeda, "And what happened to you?"

The redhead scoffed. "Pft, the usual. You know, unicorns and rainbows, I think there were some gremlins or gnomes in there, too."