04.3

[act four; chapter three     -     zeus' fist]

Have you ever, you know, been woken up by a fire breathing dragon at around 3 in the morning? No? Well, Andromeda would not exactly recommend it.

At around 3 in the morning, the smell of smoke clouded the air of the camp, a dragon came barging towards the cabins, but luckily the Apollo cabin was able to scare it off.

"It's still out there," Lee warned us during announcements. "Twenty arrows in its hide, and we just made it mad. The thing was thirty feet long and bright green. It's eyes—" he shuddered.

"You did well, Lee," Chiron patted him on the shoulder. "Everyone stay alert, but stay calm. This has happened before."

"Aye," Quintus said from the head table. "And it will happen again. More and more frequently."

The campers murmured among themselves.

Everyone knew the rumors: Luke and his army of monsters were planning an invasion of the camp. Most of them expected it to happen this summer, but no one knew how or when. It didn't help that their attendance was down. They only had about eighty campers. Three years ago, when Percy had first started, there had been more than a hundred. Some had died. Some had joined Luke. Some had just disappeared.

Andromeda, in her many years of being at Camp Half-Blood, had never seen it be so small before.

"This is a good reason for new war games," Quintus continued, a glint in his eyes. "We'll see how you all do with that tonight."

"Yes..." Chiron said. "Well, enough announcements. Let us bless this meal and eat." He raised his goblet. "To the gods."

They all raised our glasses and repeated the blessing.