03.5

[act three; chapter five     -     another lost]

One of Andromeda's favorite things was winter at Camp Half-Blood. It seemed like such a magical place to her, like something out of a movie. The way the snow decorated the trees and grass or the way the strawberry fields were still alive as ever. It was perfect.

See, the camp has the ultimate magic climate control. Nothing gets inside the borders unless Mr. D wants it to. She remembered Percy telling her he thought it would be warm and sunny, but instead the snow had been allowed to fall lightly and it surprised him greatly. Frost covered the chariot track and the strawberry fields. The cabins were decorated with tiny flickering lights, like Christmas lights, except they seemed to be balls of real fire. More lights glowed in the woods, and weirdest of all, a fire flickered in the attic window of the Big House, where the Oracle dwelt, imprisoned in an old mummified body.

"Whoa," Nico said as he climbed off the bus. "Is that a climbing wall?"

"Yeah," Percy said.

"Why is there lava pouring down it?"

"Little extra challenge. Come on. I'll introduce you to Chiron. Zoë, have you met—"

"I know Chiron," Zoë said stiffly. "Tell him we will be in Cabin Eight. Hunters, follow me."

"I'll show you the way," Grover offered.

"We know the way."

"Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here, if you don't"—he tripped over a canoe and came up still talking—"like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

Zoë rolled her eyes, but Andromeda guessed she figured there was no getting rid of Grover, because well—there wasn't.

The Hunters shouldered their packs and their bows and headed off toward the cabins. As Bianca di Angelo was leaving, she leaned over and whispered something in her brother's ear. She looked at him for an answer, but Nico just scowled and turned away, walking closer to Andromeda—the only person who he seemed truly comfortable around at the moment.