04.15

[act four; chapter fifteen     -     chaos and mania]

Distance was shorter in the Labyrinth, confusing really. Still, by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square (thank the gods), Andromeda felt like they'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico. They climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds.

She couldn't decide which seemed less real—New York or the crystal cave where they'd just watched a god die. Maybe it was a mix of both. Yeah, probably that.

Percy led the way into an alley, but, for some reason, he kept her close to him at all times, claiming he needed to find someone he could get an echo. Then he whistled as loud as he could, five times.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by four of his white friends.

"Yeah," Percy told him. "I'm lucky that way. Listen, we need a ride to camp quick."

Andromeda wasn't sure what they were saying, and she didn't feel like using more energy to read their thoughts or anything fancy like that.

The Pegasus Guido groaned and complained, but eventually he agreed to carry Tyson. Everybody started saddling up—except Rachel.

"Well," she told Percy, "I guess this is it."

He nodded uncomfortably. They both knew she couldn't go to camp. He glanced at Andromeda, who was pretending to be very busy in a hushed conversation with Blackjack. He liked that the two got along. "Thanks, Rachel," he said. "We couldn't have done it without you."