Chapter 31: Hermione

TW!! - This whole chapter is hard to read. Detrimental stress responses are depicted. Death is discussed.

All rights of characters and world are reserved to J. K. Rowling.
____________________________________

He said was still here. She heard it. She heard it clearly. It is exactly what he said.

Was.

Was.

Was.

Was as in, isn't anymore.

Was.

Another word for gone.

Gone.

Harry is gone.

Harry is dead.

"Ugh... I meant if Harry was here he would agree. But he's not. Off in Austria I believe trying to get support for..."

"Harry is dead."

It's true. She feels it. Deep down somewhere, she just knows it is true even before the sentence leaves her mouth.

It all made horrible and gut twisting sense.

That is why Ginny obliviated her.

That is why she had let them go ahead, and stayed back to hold off the Death Eaters until they had apparated.

That is why Ginny had been talking about him in the way she had over the last day.

That is why she had his cloak.

That is why Ron wasn't by his side.

That is why The Order hadn't made any moves.

"No, no he's not. He's just busy. We saw him a little over two months ago while in Germany for a..."

"Oh shut the fuck up Ron! You blew it already, may as well live with the consequences now."

Hermione looks up from the tile she had been staring at for a very long time and takes a blink, feeling how dry her eyes have become. Ginny, Malfoy and Theo walk onto the balcony, and Ginny moves to sit in the chair in front of her. It's true then. Harry is dead.

Why am I not crying?
I should be bawling right now. I just found out my best friend is dead. I just found out the face of our cause is gone. I should be devastated. Why am I not crying? I love him. I loved him like family, and I can't even shed a tear for him? Maybe I am in shock. That has to be it. Yes, I am in utter shock at the realization that... that he is gone. Harry is gone.

"Harry is dead."

Ginny nods her head, and a tear falls down her cheek as she reaches out for Hermione's hands.

"I was going to tell you today, Hermione. I swear I was. I just... was waiting for the right time you know? This... The fact that he... is a closely held secret. Even most of The Order has no idea."

Her voice breaks and she coughs to try and clear her throat. Hermione just keeps staring down at their hands. It was real, but she didn't feel present anymore. She felt gone. Deep within herself. Like she would do when master was using her. Like she would do when the pain became too much. That is what is happening. It was all too much for her. Her brain had finally checked out, chosen it had handled enough. Chosen to not handle anymore.

"So we better be able to trust you snakes because that is single handedly the most valuable piece of information this war holds."

"But you said you broke up because of major life differences."

It sounded like Theo was in shock too.

"Yeah, one major life difference. I'm alive and he's not."

No one responds to Ginny's clipped and hurt filled words.