𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲.

chapter five

chapter five

{ unedited }

"HI, MARIA," Alice said as she walked into the small shop, waving at the elderly woman

"HI, MARIA," Alice said as she walked into the small shop, waving at the elderly woman. She couldn't see Stella or Johnny anywhere so maybe they'd already left. Alice made her way to the counter, stopping in front with her arms resting on it as she looked up at the seated woman.

"Hi, dear," Maria said, smiling kindly at the girl. "You haven't been here recently, Pumpkin's been missing you." The mentioned cat meowed, nudging his head against Alice's head. Alice laughed as she scratched behind his ear, unable to stop smiling as he rubbed against her flannel.

"I've missed Pumpkin and Smokey. And, of course, you and your delicious coffees."

"What can I get for you?" Maria asked, her dimples showing in her smile. "The usual?" Alice shook her head as she ordered a hot chocolate for herself and a red velvet cake slice for Maeve. She wasn't sure what Maeve liked so she picked her personal favourite in hopes that Maeve wouldn't find it too disgusting.

"Here you go, love," Maria said, handing Alice a bag with the cake in and the hot chocolate cup for her to take. Alice was about to place the money on the counter but Maria waved her off. "On the house if you stop by more often."

"I will," Alice promised. She placed the money in the tip jar, smiling at Maria when she shot her a look. "Technically, I'm not paying," she pointed out. "Thank you," she said and grabbed hold of the bag. Her eyes flickered to the clock on the wall, seeing it was already six. Where she was supposed to meet Maeve wasn't that far away, maybe a ten minute walk or so if she left now.